Vertical Crack in Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought and moved into my first home. When looking in one of my bedrooms, i noticed a vertical crack as per the photos running from the top of the window recess to about half way down the recess. It does not run all the way to the ceiling or down to the windowsill. When you tap the crack, it sounds hollow to the right hand side and solid to the left, as if this is where the plasterboard has met the outer brick wall of the house. The house is approx 20 years old and this is the only crack i have found. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this looks structural or not? I am new to DIY and keen to learn, but still dont have masses of knowledge. Any advice is much appreciated. Apologies for the cobwebs - i have only just moved in!!
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1442.jpg
IMG_1441.jpg

Many thanks,

Jamie.

Sponsored Links
No, not structural. About an inch on either side of the crack, I cut 3 mm into the plaster and remove the plaster so the crack is in a two inch wide, 3mm deep cut out. Then I sit scrim tape in, mix up some Easi-Fill or powdered interior filler, fill over it and sand.

Definitely not Structural issue, so please do not get concerned about that possibility

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back