Vertical 'Designer' Rads - Opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hitting first fix time in my build project and had my heart set on some swanky vertical anthracite rads but plumber turned up on and wasn't terribly complimentary about their use. Suggested that they expensive (compared to a 'traditional' white box) and don't heat well.

Whilst I appreciate that I can get more BTUs from a traditional convector radiator, the figures for a lot of the designer-type rads aren't too shabby with many claiming to be able to reach 7-8000 BTUs.

Would love folks views on the effectiveness of vertical rads. Is there anything fundamental about their design which makes them less effective?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just been reading some other posts about vertical rads and sounds like there are some pretty strong opinions, although much seems to ultimately come down to having proper heat loss calculations. I've used some online calculators but suspect they're not great so would welcome views on how many kW/BTUs I should be looking for:

'L' shaped open-plan living/dining/kitchen
Total surface area is around 40m2
4.7m (W) x 2.3m (H) Bi-fold
2 x plastic uPVC DG windows (approx. 4m2)
3 outside walls
Concrete floor
Rooms above are all heated bedrooms

Online calculators are suggesting around 4,500 watts (~ 15,000 BTUs). We're actually looking at two vertical rads which claim 10,000 BTUs and a horizontal 'designer' rad to match which claims about 7800 BTUs.

Would love some guidance or pointers.

Thanks

Don’t forget that the rated output of the rads is at a fairly high water temperature; modern boilers work more efficiently at a lower water temperature, at which the radiator’s output will be lower. You should perhaps roughly double the size of the rads to allow for this.

Thanks for the pointer. Have been reading up on the whole Delta measurements. Seems that a number of suppliers quote output at Delta T60 or even T65 which inflates the numbers considerably. Should I be basing decisions on the T50 output values? Seen some nice Brenton rads which seem to offer good numbers at T50 - 7289 BTU for a horizontal double-panel and a little less for a vertical.

Sponsored Links
Just by general chit chat with customers most are disappointed with them. (I didn`t fit them I should add).

Oh, you and your silly heat loss calcs and your tedious Δt's

They're designer! More expensive!

Who wants boring old white?

Calculate on dT50 or even dT40 if possible. If you can get the output then go for it, but make sure you pipe them up correctly at first fix as some have to have the flow & return on a certain side or they don't heat up properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back