"Vertical mitre" on kitchen worktop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

I'm getting new kitchen worktops fitted - 38mm laminated chipboard, bullnose edge, the usual stuff. I've had to buy 3 x 3m lengths, when I really only need 6.4m. With the spare offcut, there has been a suggestion from Her Ladyship that "we" make the vertical end of the unit from the spare bit of worktop ... so instead of the unit end being the wall of the last cupboard, it'll be made from worktop.

Sounds OK, but is such a join possible? I know it would be easy to do by just having the vertical piece of worktop wholly under the top surface, finished edge to the front. But this might look like an awkward join, with the two rounded bullnose edges meeting at 90 degrees. Would it be possible to mitre it? Would you get a good, clean, and tight join? How would you fasten the two together underneath to ensure join was tight enough to prevent water getting into the join?

Any other bright ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
j - if "Her Ladyship" still has those electroded attached to your test*cles then proceed as follows:

Trim the back edge of the spare bit of worktop (so that it's narrower than the stuff on the top) allowing the post-formed edge to sit back behind the p/f edge of the top - doing this will avoid the worry of creating your "awkward join". This should be possible as the top worktop will protrude maybe 30+mm beyond the cupboard carcase & doors.

Seal the raw cut with a couple of licks of PVA (allow to dry) then apply a bead of clear silicon sealant to the interface and fix the vertical with screws inserted from the adjoining cupboard outwards.

Tip: assemble this end 'decor' panel dry to see if "Her Ladyship" approves but I bet just using pukka end decor panel would look better. Finally request that the electrodes be removed :LOL:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz talk English dog talk zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sponsored Links
Don't call me English, or I'll send her round to your place.

You certainly can mitre the worktop and then biscuit the two parts together. The result will need to be tightly cramped together and then becomes a very awkward item to move around. I would say best avoid this or get someone with a good table saw to do it for you. If it is not done very carefully it could look awful. You would also need to soften the sharp mitred edge which would be easily damaged. Your next problem would be water penetration into the bottom edge against the floor.

Your next problem would be water penetration into the bottom edge against the floor.

Ooh yeah.... never thought of that! (DOH!)

I think Symptoms idea sounds better.... what would be even better would be to dissuade her from the whole concept! I think the offcut will probably get < ... ahem ... > "damaged" when cutting..... I'm sure it'll get a nasty deep scratch on it during cutting, don't you?!?!? :eek:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz OK Scots Boy how did that scratch get on there? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz I don't know my darling zzzzzzzzzzzzzz don't give me that old tosh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you did it on purpose didn't you zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz no my little Scotish dove zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Dove, I'll dove you - I found the evidence in that post on that diynot forum zzzzzzzzzzz Ahhhhhh, yelp, Ok I did it, I did it, Ahhhhhhhh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unfortunately, the lady's not for turning.

Watch this space for final resolution.

Regarding water penetration into the bottom edge from the floor.... I'll Evo-Stik a melanine edging strip onto the bottom edge, and put a wee bead of silicone along the angle once fitted. Should cover it.

I think a divorce may be the easiest way out, it may cost a little more but it will save you the headache :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back