kitchen square mitre and cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing a kitchen refit. I got square edged 40mm worktops from a big shed. Two will meet in a corner. What's best way to join. Butting them together or a mitre joint. . Does biscuits and bolts still need to be used if butting. I know you can get metal bits that slides between the two . Does this get glued.
I have loaded pic of worktop

Also got cornice to fit. Would it be better to use machine or box..

Are handle jigs worth it for cabinet door handles

Attachments

• 20160422_194224.jpg
    20160422_194224.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
If you are going to mitre you need a jig and 1/2" router. If your skills are not up to it you can butt with joint strips but not a nice finish .Cornice needs a good accurate cut so hand mitre saw or chop saw. Handles are easy enough to position , you can make up a small template for accuracy.

Thanks. Think I will hire a jig and router from hss hire (35) a day. I don't like the look of the strip that buts together. Ive watched some youtube videos on how to do it (they make it look easy) . I read you go 50 mm over and then do a Mason mitre and a fem one on other length and should slot together does it being square pose any problems. Do I need biscuits or can I get away with just bolts. Will need to get a new circular saw blade . And wood for a home made rail. .

Given the cost of replacing the worktops immediately if it goes wrong, or soon afterwards if you have a poor joint that allows water ingress, this is one job I would get a pro in for, with all the right tools.

B&Q have handle templates for a couple of quid in sheet plastic, I doubt they are as good as a proper jig especially if your doors have soft contoured edges which are harder to line up to.

Sponsored Links
Being a square edge, you would normally butt joint it, but as it has a laminate edging stuck on the front, you'll need to treat is as a post formed worktop, and use a Jig. Using biscuits is always best, as the joint can move as you tighten the bolts up. I can't remember than name of the stuff, but you can get coloured glues that are waterfast, and act as a joint filer as well. For the cornices, you need a fine tooth blade on a compound mitre saw = about £50 from screwfix this weekend if you haven't got one, but at what point does it get cheaper to get a pro in to do it if you haven't got all the tools you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back