Vertical radiator for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning peeps. Going to replace towel rad in bathroom with a vertical one, to give off more heat. As its going in a bathroom with lots of potential condensation, is their anything i should take into consideration before buying one.

Had a look on the web & there is so many to choose from. Are there particular brands that are good or ones to avoid. If you know any deals going on, be ideal to point me in the right direction. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I doubt any coated ones will be suitable for a bathroom.

Have you searched specifically?

How large is the bathroom and what type of vertical rad? Column rads aren't very good at space heating when it comes to larger rooms

Sponsored Links
How large is the bathroom and what type of vertical rad? Column rads aren't very good at space heating when it comes to larger rooms
It's not that big, got 2 outside walls & no heating in cupboard below. Towel rad doesn't warm it enough for me. Not looking at column ones, the wife wants flat paneled one.

By flat panelled, do you mean like these -

duratherm-vertical-double-flat-panel-designer-radiator-1800-x-456mm-white.webp

these are in effect column rads, just flat tubes and they heat the space in the same way as columns. If the space isn't too large then they may ok, I would advise a 25% increase in the required output for the size of room though as they are as effective at space heating as convection rads are.

Or is it convection types like these -
th

These are expensive though.

By flat panelled, do you mean like these -

duratherm-vertical-double-flat-panel-designer-radiator-1800-x-456mm-white.webp

these are in effect column rads, just flat tubes and they heat the space in the same way as columns. If the space isn't too large then they may ok, I would advise a 25% increase in the required output for the size of room though as they are as effective at space heating as convection rads are.

Or is it convection types like these -
th

These are expensive though.
Cheers Madrab: I was thinking column rads had round tubes lol. What's the difference between the two types, is it heat output, quicker to get warm or something else.

Its the way they heat the space - The flat tubed column rads work anywhere from 10-30% convection > 70-90% radiation. The standard convection rads work with 90% convection >10% radiation. Therefore the latter heats a space much more quickly and effectively by primarily using air convection (much more efficient at heating the air in the space) whereas the former uses radiation to physically heat the things in range, they in turn heat things around them and only 30% of the radiators output is delivered through convection (heating the air), so it usually takes a larger room longer to warm up.

Smaller rooms aren't affected so badly as the effective radiant range from the column means that more in the room is within that range due to its proximity to the rad. If that makes sense.

edited for spelling

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back