Vertical sleepers as a retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'm going to use vertical sleepers as a retaining wall.

Will I need to fit geotextile to the back of the sleepers, then some shingle and then backfill with earth?

I thought the geotextile would prevent seepage of earth getting through the gaps.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I believe it goes between stone and earth. Otherwise the earth will wash through the stones and clog them up. Drainage pipe at the bottom would be handy.

Agree with what Deluks says. Though drain pipe shouldn't be needed if the wall isn't waterproof (so gaps between the sleepers will let plenty of water through.

I would be concerned though with the verticallyness of them. Could potentially be pushed over with that much height. If possible, a slope would be good for strength.

You'll get a lot of strength from the lack of straight lines but I would advise screwing galanised strip (such as http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38619/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Builders-Band-20mm-x-10m) round the back to hold them together.

Thanks Deluks - geotextile between stones and earth - that makes sense.

- how can I stack a vertical row of shingle behind the sleepers, and then hold the geotextile in place? or are you sggesting the shingle is laid, say 1/3rd up the back of the sleeper?

- if I lay a drain pipe in the bottom where does it lead into?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Here ya go:
http://www.mmtimber.co.uk/images/unilog design guide.pdf

Dont need a drain behind as the wall will leak like a sieve..
Dont need a strap to tie the timbers together as its designed like a contiguous wall, but probably wouldnt hurt.. as the walls get a little bouncy when fairly high..
Geomembrane should be permiable and shingle isnt such a bad idea as it will filter alot of the silt outta the soil behind.. build up the soil/shingle up in layers after the post foundations have cured..

Thanks Static, the Unilog would make life much easier, I will look at that today.

Many thanks.

Thanks Static, the Unilog would make life much easier, I will look at that today.

Many thanks.
To be honest i was more suggesting the contruction methodology rather than the whole system.. you will probably find the logs more expensive than sleepers.. but the flip side would be they would be easier to form your S shape.. check the prices.. there are tons of suppliers not just the one i linked..

I think the logs would give a much slicker profile and definately easier to install.

BTW,

Unilog; 2400 x 100 = £5.28

You would need 2 Unilogs to get the same width as 1 sleeper, therefore, 2 x Unilogs = £10.56, 1 x sleeper £14.95, so the Unilog is about 30% cheaper. Also, the Unilog comes with a 15 yr guarantee, sleepers don't.

If your in norwich get the sleepers from Freddie Cann. Ask for A grade though as the cheaper ones are busted to pieces or resemble bananas. They will crane offload them onto your garden.

I'd say don't cement the bottoms, as it just seems wrong to me. Get a few friends to lift them. They are chuffing heavy if you buy the real sleepers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back