Vertical vs Horizontal radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know heating requirements should be calculated and radiators sized and quantified accordingly but this is just a general question.

I've noticed in recent years there seems to be a growing trend to have radiators of smallish width but very high ie they go right up the wall.

This is potentially very useful where there are not many solid walls ie you have a lot of glass ie bi fold doors etc. This is an issue that I'll be facing in an extension I'm having built.

So as stupid as this sounds, all else being equal, will a radiator that is 60cm wide but 2m tall put out as much heat as one that is 2m wide and 60cm high?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
not necessarily, all radiators will have a quoted output so just go by that. I always oversize verticals by 10-20% as they don't generally heat very evenly. The more "designer" it is , the more useless they seem to be at actually heating the room

From internet
quinn K1 500 x 300 is rated at 955 BTUs
quinn K1 300 x 500 is rated at 911 BTUs
So there seems to be a difference

Terry

A standard rad with a convectors added is obviously going to have an advantage.

The Quinn adagio range goes up to 4466 watts which is pretty good imo for a unit that measures only 880mm wide.
I doubt if any non convector rad could match that.
I'll be using them in my gaffe soon as the emitters for a stove.

Edit
A Stelrad P1 elite has only half the output of an adagio, based on 2m x 0.6m sizing.

Sponsored Links
You'll get less heat from a vertical, and a higher purchase cost to boot

You'll get less heat from a vertical, and a higher purchase cost to boot
agree waste of money and time dont work and one comapny in perticular you can get them cheaper by doin research

Don't post tosh. You come on here to rubbish something you know sweet fa about in a single post.
If it heats the given area its fitted in then it works. Simples.
Sure you might pay a premium but some people don't mind that.

People like myself for example who can diy the install for buttons and have plenty left for the materials.

Check out the adagio range by Quinn. They will be in my gaffe soon and I can assure you they will be no waste of money or time.
Thankfully I know enough not to listen to your kind of tripe. Unfortunately its people like the op who end up deceived.
You stick to fitting ugly horizontals that use up tons of wall space and I'll fit the adagio's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back