Very cold understairs cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help with their advice and experience.
The understairs cupboard is much colder than the living room. There is a door separating the two.
The wall under the stairs is an exterior one.
The mains electric and gas pipes comes into the house here. I have put sleeves on here and silicone the gap up.
The electric and gas boxes are on the other side, recessed into the wall
Any ideas how I can insulate it better.
This is also the case on the same wall in the kitchen.... Freezing cold inside the units and bare brick under the kitchen skirting at the back.... Its driving me crazy....
Thankyou bkyou

Sponsored Links
are there bare floorboards? draughty?

how old is the house?

Hi John,
Its concrete flooring with then skirting boards. I currently have a carpet loosley on it but the walls are cold.
Its 1930s I think... How can I find that out?
Thanks

Its 1930s I think... How can I find that out?

In my own case - Oldmaps, showed no house or road in 1950, but 1960 showed road and house. I later tracked down an aerial photo, dated 1955, in which I was just about able to see this house in the far distance, with its roof in the middle of construction. Other old photos, showed the progress of building in the village generally.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
you can also download the "deeds" from Land Registry Gov UK

(not one of the non-government scam sites ending "org" or "com" or "co uk")

they will quite likely show when it was first sold, and possibly when the land was bought by the developer.

Photos of the brickwork and roof construction, and doors and windows if original, will give us a fair idea, through builders in provincial towns and country areas tend to lag behind big cities in adopting new ideas.

The walls will be cold if they are uninsulated cavity, colder if they are 9" solid, worse if they are damp.

A concrete floor can also be damp, especially if there is a leaking pipe or drain under or near it.

Hi guys thanks
So after some digging from a report it show the house is 1930s
With this in the wall from the inspection done 2 years ago.... InstaFibre White Wool
As per the report the house is "brick construction with 70mm cavity and brick inner leave finished with internal wet plaster"
Any ideas from this?
Pictures to follow

Hi Guys,
Please find pictures attached. (sorry my phone doesn't allow me to upload pictures on this site so I have so send them to my computer)
Please see the image with the red circles showing red brick in the top one and in the bottom red circle what appears to be the Instafibre White wool I presume. you can see where the installation of the electric and gas boxes recessed in or maybe more recently where meters have be changed and someone decided to smash things to bits and not fix it...
Could this be the issue and how can it be repaired please?
Please also see pictures of under the kitchen units .
I welcome you thoughts and comments and advice
regards
ian

Attachments

• thumbnail__20210324_210939.jpg
    thumbnail__20210324_210939.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 208
  • thumbnail_DSC_1655.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1655.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 204
  • thumbnail_DSC_1656.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1656.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 208
  • thumbnail_DSC_1657.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1657.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 185
  • thumbnail_DSC_1719.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1719.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 204
  • thumbnail_DSC_1721.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1721.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 194
  • thumbnail_DSC_1718.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1718.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 181
  • thumbnail_DSC_1720.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC_1720.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 223
those holes in the wall are presumably draughty

you can pack mineral wool (loft insulation) into the cavity and build up the hole with S&C mortar (several layers or it will slump). Verify the wall is not damp as loft insulation is not treated to repel damp.

the floor looks to me like it might be chipboard. Are you sure it is solid?

It's hard to determined where the drafts are coming from as the damage you see is on the exterior brick and inner leaf.... Its also presumably compromised as these pictures show the recessed exterior meter boxes.
You mentioned chipboard? ... The pictures show images of inside the exterior meter boxes and under the kitchen units...
Apart from the obvious by checking if it's wet, how can I source dampness that might be hidden else where?
Thanks.

It looks as though there’s not much, if any gap between plasterboard and floor on one picture, which won’t help with damp/moisture.

So it's not freezing cold... Room temperature would be nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back