Removing part of understairs wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
Hoping for a bit of building advice please.....
I am looking to convert the understairs cupboard (access from kitchen) into an downstairs toilet with new access off the hallway. This will require blocking off of existing opening (put a stud wall in) and making a new opening under the stairs off the hallway by removing some of the existing wall.

Question I am wondering is is this wall supporting the stairs and if I remove sufficient to provide a doorway - all be it a bit narrower than standard - will the stairs fall down :oops:

Would degree of support would be required for the top of the new doorway?

Thanks for help in advance. I have uploaded some photos into my forum album for you to make sense of my ramplings.

Dustyy View media item 8189 View media item 8188 View media item 8182 View media item 8183 View media item 8187 View media item 8190 View media item 8191

Sponsored Links
it`s hard to tell from your pictures but i`m assuming the staircase turns at the top a quarter pace landing "10 straight steps a square step 90`degree turn then a further 2 or 3 steps" if this is the case i`m sure some of the load will be on the wall in question if you could clarify i can advise try to take the pictures further back as this would help you can easily support the staircase with props while you are doing the work a diagram of what you intend to do would be good

Thanks for your reply, I will post some additional photos asap.
Thanks
Dustyy

Sponsored Links
the newel is directly above your intended opening i see, but the sub-landing is partially over the wall. :confused:

it may be possible.

have you considered drainage?

headroom? :eek:

i take it the white line is the intended door?

as noseall as pointed out i do think headroom may be an issue! :confused:

is the main bathroom above your kitchen to the left at the top of the stairs
if so then your soil pipe probably runs down your side wall not far from your proposed new toilet?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies guys.
The 90 degree turn of the stairs is over the top of the current opening in the kitchen so I did wonder if most of the weight was taken at this point.
You are right, headroom may be a little tight but its only intended as the loo to help kiddies with potty training and to prevent mud ridden shoes being trailed through the house :)
I have, er, assumed the standing position as it were and it seems do-able.

The white line is where i intend the new door opening to be and so was concerned that with the newel post where it is I would struggle to put any additional support in without having to limbo in :eek:

badgerchief, you are correct, the seperate toilet is directly to the left at the top of the stairs and the soil pipe runs in what appears to be the perfect position outside the wall to accept a new connection.

Would Building Regs have to be consulted?

as you`ll be making structural changes i believe so
and i take it the door will be opening outwards.
you may get a few more mm out of it if the toilet back faces the bottom of the stairs or prehaps a corner toilet and basin
where there`s a will there`s almost always a way :rolleyes:

just been looking at the pictures again and it would appear that the piece of wood running up to the missing corner of your proposed door frame is below the stair string if this is the case you`ve just gained a few inches simplifing the job as you should be able to cut the newel post and pop in a lintel for support!
could you check if i`m right it will involve a bit of guess work and judgment if you look in the cupboard under the stairs hopefully the strings will be exposed

The picture with the basket (a hand me down honest :oops: ) shows the under stairs. Basically everything is plastered in.

If you can tell me what the 'strings' look like I will check if you are right. :oops:

the strings are the pices of wood either side of the staircase the steps are cut into this try looking in the small cupboard towards the bottom of the stairs :eek:

Sorry for the delay in adding more pics - camera woes.
Added are some photos which may shed some more light on the subject for those of you in the building know!

As an aside, the floor joists upstairs run perpendicular to the flight of stairs which i suppose gives more strength to the thinking that the part of the wall i intend taking out would in fact be supporting the stairs/half landing/landing :(

I was going to do some exploratory removal of plasterwork inside the understairs room, above the current doorway to see if there is some sort of lintel there, it looks as though this doorway is holding up the half landing.

Would appreciate some more thoughts from anyone.

Thanks. View media item 8913 View media item 8914 View media item 8915 View media item 8916

Come on guys...... :cry:
No-one got any more thoughts on whether my stairs will fall down if I take a few bricks out???

:D :D

Your stairs are going nowhere!

Height (due to a necessary lintel) may be limited though.

Cheers for your reply noseall.
So I will need a lintel? As you suggest the stairs are going nowhere, will the lintel just be supporting the remaining part of the wall between the stairs and the top of the proposed door way?

What kind of lintel would be required? In order to maximise door height (and width) I had planned on "cutting off" the corner of the proposed doorway. If this was done, would you have any suggestions on how I could incorporate a lintel?

Out of interest, how is the landing and top part of the stairs supported - is it by the existing kitchen wall where the current access to the understairs cupboard is?

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back