Removing wall understairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody.

Just after a little confirmation, before i knock a wall down and my house collapses..

I'm planning on knocking the wall between my understairs cupboard and dining room, to relocate the kitchen door.

The wall is lath and plaster (3" x 3" timber studs), i just want to make sure the 3x3 inbetween the 2 current doorways isnt supporting the stairs.

It sits on the downstairs floor joist then finishes at the kitchen ceiling resting on top of this is 2 joists which start and end on structural walls. (the pics are easier than explaining)...

The red line is the 3x3 stud.

The yellow are the 2 joists.

The blue are both brick walls.

The green arrows point to hollow walls.

SAM_0043edit.jpg

SAM_0045edit.jpg

Will that be ok to remove?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks for your time.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
do not under any circumstances go any further its holding the stairs up including the sloping wall or at least from what we can see thats what it looks like

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything i can look for to tell either way for sure? Any tell tale signs?

Oh. just to be clear. Its only the beam I've drawn red that i want to remove. The 2 yellow joists will be left in (supported by the 2 brick walls drawn blue).

Sponsored Links
You may have to reinforce the beam that's holding the joists, we have used a cocrete lintel in the past it's depends on what's above and the span. Would be worth getting a engineer to have a butchers.

Oh. just to be clear. Its only the beam I've drawn red that i want to remove. The 2 yellow joists will be left in (supported by the 2 brick walls drawn blue).

ok what i see is a stair case supported by your "hollow wall" then the landing is supported from the beam in yellow and the hollow wall
we can see no further and can only give " our honest opinion " and no more
i would suggest the lack off other response suggests the supporting detail is not fully explained
the items i have mentioned [stairs and landing] may be fully supported but not in the views you have shown :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back