Removing part of understairs wall

Can't believe its a year since I originally posted on this........kids and work eh :confused:
Kids finally shipped off for the w/e so have commenced project at long last.
I have removed the plaster from the area of the wall where I intend the doorway to go and this has revealed some brick work and a piece of vertical wood directly underneath the newal post which then extends to the floor.
The stringers are outside the wall therefore I assume the brickwork is not supporting the stairs and can therefore be removed?
But what about the wood underneath the newal post, can this be removed??
The stingers appear to be mortice and tenon jointed into the newal post and as mentioned previously the half landing where the stairs turn by 90 degrees is half way across the existing understairs doorway in the kitchen (which is to be stud partionned up.
Some photos are attached which hopefully clarify things. Your replies are appreciated as the wife wants to see some progress upon her return in a few days!! :eek: Though hopefully not the stairs fallen down ;)

As always, thanks for your help.

View media item 19777 View media item 19778 View media item 19779 View media item 19780 View media item 19781 View media item 19782 View media item 19783

Sponsored Links
Come on guys........ i can almost hear my wife tutting!
No-one got any words of wisdom for me on this???

Hey Rustyy what was outcome? I'm looking at doing the same.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand deleted post, So if I should post somewhere else let me know! here are my pics of similar situation. want to stud wall the kitchen under stair opening and put doorway in the hall stairs wall. you see the existing wall has vertical wooden stud, I propose this becomes right side of opening.
if lintel is required there is nowhere to support it on right, can I use timer top frame to support? thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back