Very confused about estimator calcs for brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Completely confused about the methodology all of the sand cement calculators use for estimating the amount of materials required for building a brick wall in terms of sand and cement. I have tried a number of different ones, but get the same answer every time.

My project is a very low front wall forming a few coarses at the base of a fence. It’s also a raised bed of sorts, so there are two walls of different heights.

If I consider the wall as 4 different walls because of the different heights and enter these into the calculators, I get a figure that seems realistic in terms of amount of sand and cement needed.

If I sum the length and height of the 4 walls first and then do the calculation the estimates are 3 or 4 times as much in total and seem unrealistic.

I’m pretty certain that this comes down to the fact that the calcs are done on a meters square basis, but it just does not makes sense how all of the online calculators can have this oversight, if that’s what it is. Surely, the sum of 4 small walls materials should be the same as the that same wall as a whole?

Sponsored Links
If you're betting similar results from different calculators then it suggests you're doing the summing of your lengths and heights incorrectly

Thanks NewBoy, but you beat me to admiting my stupidity....

Just clicked what I was doing wrong! Yes I summed my heights and lengths to create the 1 part wall, which clearly created a larger number in terms of meters sq..

Sorry for wasting anyones time. That's 30 seconds of your life you will now never get back :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back