Building a garden double brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I live in a leasehold property and the council wish to repair the wall that surrounds our communal gardens.

The wall is around 30 m in length and has varying heights. I calculated the cross sectional surface area to be 20 m^2

It is a double brick wall and I estimate the number of bricks to be around 2500

The wall does need replacing. there will also be resurfacing of a concrete path

The quotes for the work are as follows
Broken down by section.

1, Demolish exiting wall & break up hardcore + removal £1800
2, Concrete foundation to new retaining walls £5600
3, Brick retaining wall construction £10000
4, Renew concrete path £3000
5, Chainlink fencing £300

This comes to a total of £20700

This seems way over the top from looking around on the net for average costs.

Can any one with experience in these things help me determine if this quote is in any way possible ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you're getting us confused with someone else!

6a00e54f937a85883401287716a360970c-800wi

Sorry.

I thought on the building section someone may have had experience building a wall and the costs involved.

Maybe its not relevant though.

Plenty on here have experience but you have to provide more details. Just listing "brick retaining wall" or "chainlink fence" is meaningless without providing sizes, access, materials, construction methods etc.

Sponsored Links
1, Demolish exiting wall & break up hardcore + removal £1800
What size is the wall and what hardcore?
2, Concrete foundation to new retaining walls £5600
What size is the foundation, how long is? Is it reinforced? How deep is it?
3, Brick retaining wall construction £10000
How high is it and how long is it?
4, Renew concrete path £3000
How many m2 is it?
5, Chainlink fencing £300
How long and how high?

Maybe its best just to concentrate on 3, Brick retaining wall construction £10000 as I don't have details on the foundation or hardcore used.

The wall in a varying height double brick Wall.

The sections are as follows
Length * height

5.2 * 1.2
4.8m * 1.2m
7.3m * 0.9m
2.7m * 0.9m
2.4m * 0.9m
3.10 * 0.9m
4.65m * 0.9m

So the total length was ~ 30m
The total cross sectional area ~ 20m^2.

The detailed description of this they sent includes this text

Construct mass brickwork retaining wall using frost resistant facing bricks in 1:1:6 gauged mortar to match property. Wall to include movement joints 10mm expansion or similar approved at 3m from corners or at wall height variations. Back of wall coated with three layers of sythaprute dpm.

Install 65mm square weep holes at 1.0m centres along length of wall.

Install a single size drainage medium minimum 100mm from rear of wall protected from soil with filter membrane of terrain 1000 or similar approved.

I afraid I don't know the brick type . It is a red brick to match the property.The quote for this is £10000

I not looking for a particular accurate quote only if £10000 is in the right ballpark really.

Thanks for the help.

A high spec 30m retaining wall can easily knock a hole in 10k.

I would expect parts of the wall (low down) to be greater than 225mm thick though.

Quickly thrown a few figures together and if we could get £6900.00 VAT inclusive for the wall only as detailed in your specification, then we would be well pleased.
Not included, demolition of existing, no new foundation, no thickening up bottom of wall, but would advise 4 course one and half brick thick to bottom. Would be extra.
Wall to length and height from ground level as given, finished with brick on edge.
Three coats original Synthapruf, 20mm stone back fill, terram, weep holes and expansion joints as required.
Materials, Pc sum allowed to supply bricks £530.00 per 1000 inclusive. Materials £2618.00 VAT incl Labour £3140.00 Vat inclusive, 20% overheads and profit £1151.00 VAT inclusive.
Your friendly VAT man and government charge you £1027.00 for the privilege to rebuild wall.
Any additional brickwork below ground level, one brick wide allow £425.00 per course over 30metre run.
Guidance only.
old un. :D

What is the wall retaining?

You are asking us about building brick walls, from description this appears to be a retaining wall. If the job involves lots of digging, moving soil and backfilling then this is a lot more than just building a wall, it's a mini-civil engineering project.

It is retaining soil / garden.

However, the work of digging, moving soil and backfilling was
costed in the other sections I believe, but maybe not.

Maybe ~£20000 is in the right ballpark.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it

Yes really.

My section (low down) is leaning forward about 15 cm at the top.
The rest of it has separated from the foundations and there are four or five vertical cracks along the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back