very confused about papering round corner with patterned pap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've read loads and watched youtube vids as to how to paper.

I now have my walls all prepared and am ready to start. However, the paper my other half has decided on has a pattern which does not repeat it's self across the width of the paper.

My room is an odd sort of shape, while it is sort of rectangular, it's two rooms knocked into 1 with a triangular fireplace (that was in the corner of the original rooms), and one of the rooms is slightly narrower than the other etc.

Or to put it another way, there are 9 different walls altogether, some big, some just a few feet.

Having the pattern not match up at all the corners will in my opinion look very odd.

Yet as the pattern doesn't repeat its self across the width, I see no other way of overlapping the corner without this happening.

Any suggestion please?

The paper is this one here

http://www.grahambrown.com/us/product/18390/Eden

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't really see the problem.

You will be using a plumbline to hang the first length.

When you get to an internal corner you can cut the paper down it's whole length, allowing a couple of mm to go round the corner.

The remaining strip of paper will go on the other wall of the corner.
Draw a plumbline where you think the good edge of the paper should be; allowing for no gaps/excess paper to be trimmed at the corner itself.

Avoid wide overlaps as you will loose more of the pattern.

Admittedly, you will lose a fraction of the pattern if the corner isn't dead plumb; but it won't notice tight in a corner. It's far more important for the wall paper to be dead vertical every time you start a new wall.

Avoid fitting a whole length round an internal corner - it won't be dead straight, and will make the subsequent lengths crooked.

You need to plan your work so you get a join in the right place where an external angle is. Usually a join should be about 1.5 - 2 inches from the external corner to allow for compensating for an imperfect corner. Make sure the join is positioned on the least obvious part of the external corner.
If you have to slightly overlap work out which piece should go on top so it's less noticable.

If you end up with an area where two lengths are going to meet up and the pattern isn't going to match, have the join in an internal corner - as it will be less apparent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back