Very Draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a blocked drain been like it for a few months, only serves bathroom sinks so just 'grey' water , can't think whats blocking it [not even a dribble gets thru]. From Manhole right next to outlet cannot get rods to it as not flexible enough. Any suggestions, ? tried pressure washer down it and cleared it with small boat pump but just grey water. Tried a couple of bottles of 'one shot' but no effect.

Sponsored Links
Can you use a different kind of rod? Maybe a thin fibreglass rod or electricians "fishing" rods (tape the joins to stop them undoing). An old piece of curtain track might bend enough... It all depends how far you need to rod, I suppose. I assume that you can't rod from the other end..

I don't know what these are like but there are plenty of different sizes and lengths. They should get round P and S traps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAIN-UNB...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3f3612f8c1

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Is it a gully?

If so, suck all the water out and pour in 3 bottles of 'one shot' down there and leave for 24hrs.

Or use an electric drain snake, you can hire these

or have it jetted out.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Already tried one shot several times, tried jet washing from above.
Have tried to rod from both ends but cannot reach the bend from either, just too deep to reach in with hand.
Have tried flexible stuff but seems to hit solid obstruction.

Can you use a different kind of rod? Maybe a thin fibreglass rod or electricians "fishing" rods (tape the joins to stop them undoing). An old piece of curtain track might bend enough... It all depends how far you need to rod, I suppose. I assume that you can't rod from the other end..

I don't know what these are like but there are plenty of different sizes and lengths. They should get round P and S traps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAIN-UNB...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3f3612f8c1
Have one but too far down to apply any pressure so just curls up in the bottom of the gully.Almost as though its had a bag of sand and cement dropped into it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Looks like a case of sabotage......what do you think of a camera inspection?
Has anyone been flushing tile adhesive or similar down there recently?
John :)

Have you got a garden hose and good water pressure? You can feed a hose a good bit up a drain and the water can help clear out silt etc.
But it could be something a bit more serious!

Looks like a case of sabotage......what do you think of a camera inspection?
Has anyone been flushing tile adhesive or similar down there recently?
John :)
No work done here. I'm the only one to do work and not had anything other than sink waste down it.

Have you got a garden hose and good water pressure? You can feed a hose a good bit up a drain and the water can help clear out silt etc.
But it could be something a bit more serious!
Had pressure washer from both ends down it.

Are we talking clay or plastic gulley/pipes & manhole. Can you get a 22m spring bender to the blockage & give it a whack.

I've had to clear our bathroom U bends a couple of times. It was a sort of whitish chalky residue that had accumulated. I suspect some of the various unidentifiable potions that the fairer sex use react with each other in some way. Might be a possible culprit.

My standard MO for a blocked drain is to pump it out and use boiling water and a bag of caustic soda. May be worth a try fwiw. Don't poke it with anything alumnium if you try it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back