under ground rain water drains blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just discovered the pottery underground drains that should be taking rain water to the well are all blocked. The blockages have been caused by builders rubble ( following a roof job) soil and roots. From the well a drain rod can be forced to within four foot of the down pipe, however with a spiral fitting on the drain rod it only enters the drain a few inches. From the down pipe end the pipe is solid and I ve only managed to clear six inches. Please can anyone advise ? would the hiring of a pressure washer be of any help?

Sponsored Links
Down pipes are all now clear and working well, I am talking about the under ground drainage pipes.

Pressure washer will do little against a solid obstruction, can you get your hand down there?

Sponsored Links
Salt glaze pipes are notoriously brittle and often leak at the joints anyway so I wouldn't go poking about too hard.
A professional drain jetting machine (with operator) could help here - they shoot up the drain using their own water pressure and force out the residue as they are pulled back.....if this doesn't work then I'm afraid it could be excavation time.
John :)

Foxhole
I have cleared sufficient to get my hand in.

The pipe is probably only 4" diameter

if it already has soil and roots in it then it is already cracked, or broken, or collapsed, or open-jointed so it will have to come up (or possibly be moled and lined, which may be even more expensive)

roots don't get into sound drains.

John D

As it only takes rain water does it really matter it the drain is not perfect?
If the drain could be unblocked Im sure it would run OK as the drop from down pipe to well is good and only a short distance between the two. (well and down pipe)

not perfect?
That's a very charitable way to describe a drain which is blocked, and damaged, and therefore leaking, and will get blocked again when the roots grow back.

A leaking drain makes a surprisingly large hole in the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back