Very expensive new central heating

D.Hailsham, I've had a go at the boiler calculator but probably haven't done it accurately. I've no idea about what roof type insulation there is, wall type (I put down solid 220m at a guess), don't know about outside wall sizes, and I guesstimated internal measurements as about 15 meters from bay window off front room to back of the kitchen. It calculated required boiler output as 4.26 kW.

I'll have a look for the d.0 parameter see if I can reduce the maximum.

Sponsored Links
if you have the new ecotec without control knobs on it your installer will have left d.o set to auto probably and it will reduce down to it's minimum accordingly.

What were your bills like before you got the energy efficient eco tech condensing boiler.

if you have the new ecotec without control knobs on it your installer will have left d.o set to auto probably and it will reduce down to it's minimum accordingly.

Mine has no knobs, just press buttons, like this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzUTA5tTqXI

I haven't checked the manual yet but do you know which button I should press for the d.o and what parameter value I should set?

What were your bills like before you got the energy efficient eco tech condensing boiler.

Well, I only had a basic Main water heater (installed 2008) before the Vaillant, and didn't have central heating before. It was just 3 gas fires I had installed when I bought the flat in 1987, kitchen, lounge and bedroom, nothing in the hall and bathroom, but I stopped using them a few years ago, in particular the lounge one (Valor Flamenco coal effect fire, really old!) and the bedroom one as the pilots wouldn't stay lit after releasing the ignition buttons. So the flat was always cold, and I didn't have double glazed windows before either, but I do now as I've just spent over £20K refurbishing this place. I got used to a small oil filled electric radiator. I was also cooking on gas whereas now I'm cooking on electric. I used to put £25 in the meter for the Main water heater and for the gas cooking and it would last about 2 weeks or so.

Sponsored Links
British gas told me on the phone yesterday that pre-paid is not more expensive than direct debit anymore, ?
:eek: Er ....OK they surely don`t lie , do they ? However I would be very interested if you let us all know how it goes after you get the meter changed - simply because a M8 of mine is in the same position as you - but won`t change to d/d :confused: Some facts and figures would strengthen my argument to him - or not , if BG is right ;)

Mine has no knobs, just press buttons,

I haven't checked the manual yet but do you know which button I should press for the d.o and what parameter value I should set?
On your version it is now d.000.

Full Instructions for accessing the settings are on pages 36-38 of the Installation Manual. You have to enter the Menu; select Installer Level; Enter the security code (given in manual!!); select Appliance Config; select Heating Part Load; set the value, say 10 (kW), using + button, and press OK.

If that has no effect you can always put it back to the Auto setting.

Mine has no knobs, just press buttons,

On your version it is now d.000.

Full Instructions for accessing the settings are on pages 36-38 of the Installation Manual. You have to enter the Menu; select Installer Level; Enter the security code (given in manual!!); select Appliance Config; select Heating Part Load; set the value, say 10 (kW), using + button, and press OK.

If that has no effect you can always put it back to the Auto setting.

Thank you kindly sir, I will get my manual out when I get a moment and have a go at that.

British gas told me on the phone yesterday that pre-paid is not more expensive than direct debit anymore, ?
:eek: Er ....OK they surely don`t lie , do they ? However I would be very interested if you let us all know how it goes after you get the meter changed - simply because a M8 of mine is in the same position as you - but won`t change to d/d :confused: Some facts and figures would strengthen my argument to him - or not , if BG is right ;)

Will do mate. Woman I spoke to last night in the chip shop reckons she pays £59 a month total for gas and electric together with Eon which sounds remarkable! And fixed price till 2014. I'm with Eon for electricity and I'm going to see if I can get the same or similar deal.

Woman I spoke to last night in the chip shop reckons she pays £59 a month total for gas and electric together with Eon which sounds remarkable!
Unless you know the actual amount of gas/electricity/other they are using, monthly payment amounts are meaningless.

In a year or so, they may find their account has a huge deficit and they then have to pay 5x more every month to pay off the debt they racked up while paying half of what they should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back