very noisey 6v kids ride-on car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i bought my son a 6v electric ride-on car (similar to the pic below). It was second-hand off ebay and he loves it. However, it is soooooo noisey. Im sure its noisier than is usual for these toys. The women selling even said she was getting rid of it becuase it was too noisey for her daughter.

Is there anything I can do to decrease the noise? It seems to eminate from the wheel that does the powering. It was only a fiver so im not too bothered but i think we are going to be public enemy number 1 this summer if it stays so noisey!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if it is similar to the 12volt motor/gearbox used in the golf caddies.
Can you get at the gearbox to see if it is a sealed unit?
A couple of golfers I know who had problems with noisy gears, drilled out the seal fittings and cleaned out the gearbox grease then repacked it with toothpaste and used small bolts to fasten the endcover back in place.
The toothpaste is very slightly abrasive and so eventually smooths the worn teeth on the gears and reduces noise. It will act as a lubricant for the amount of time the toy is used.

And they will be the cleanest gears for miles around :D :D

Sponsored Links
When my daughters grew to big for theirs I cut off the back section with the powered wheel and fitted it to a home made cart and a car battery [doubling the voltage] they suddenly found it more interesting as it then did about 15mph even two up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back