Very noisy (gargling, glogging and gurgling) hot water loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every morning I am woken by my hot water system (it's that or a cold shower) and I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to help.

Basically the hot water loop makes this gargling glugging sort of noise pretty much for the duration (this appears to originate in the area shown in the picture not the boiler). This happens prior to the central heating coming on but the noise emanates from the speakers (radiators) by my bed as it is transmitted along all pipework. This did not occur until a few months ago immediately after I drained the system to replace a radiator. It would appear that 1 or both of 2 things happened; air was introduced and cannot leave (though I do bleed the radiators) or debry/sludge may have been dislodged and is causing a restriction.

A British gas man did a yearly service and of course none of it was covered by maintenance (poor design and corrosion). He did however suggest the air circulator was the problem and they are no longer recommended, that I should replace with a 'T' and move the cold feed along (see current and proposed) and of course I should pay him for a power flush.

Current
IMG_1196.JPG

Proposed
IMG_1196_after.JPG

The question is: Is it a good plan to change to the 'proposed' design then use sentinel X400 (sludge remover) X200 (boiler descaler) and X100 (inhibitor) to try to clean the system out? Has anyone come across this before?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly I cannot see an air vent on the H/W cylinder flow pipe.

Secondly I would change your pipe work so the vent take off is higher than the 3 way valve. With problem systems I fit a Myson aerjec, a new version of what you've got, with a 22mm cold fill and make sure the pump is within abount 300-600 mm of the aerjec. also fit a air bleed point on the hot water flow.

I do not think what you are proposing will be enough.

Hi Gas4you Thanks for the reply

'Firstly I cannot see an air vent on the H/W cylinder flow pipe.'
Do you mean the pipe that feeds into the cylinder midway up, all there is is a bleed on the elbow to the right of the three port valve, do I need to put another in? If so where? The builders may have cut some corners to save money there is not a single drain cock in the entire house!

IMG_1196_after2.JPG

Do you mean to put an air vent in like the above, if so does it have to be higher than the vent take off? Is the position of the vent take off as you meant also?

Many Thanks

yes that looks ok. but I would still prefer to change your pipe work as I mentioned before if it was my job.

I always fit an auto air vent in these positions.

Sponsored Links
I thought I had it how you meant, the vent take off is higher than the 3 port valve and a bleed point is added to the H/W feed. Is this how you meant? Do you mean the only difference to how you would have it is that I should have a Myson aerjec where the vent take off is (I do plan to do that its just I couldn't draw it) or have I completely misunderstood?

Thanks

What I am trying to explain, probably badly, is I would raise the aerjec above the height of the 3 port valve. The main flow from the boiler should extend above the 3 port valve, then the aerjec, then the pump below the aerjec but if possible still higher than the 3 port valve. The air vent on the hot water flow is just an added extra benefit. I always like the vent take off to be higher than anything else. I hope you can understand. Putting things into clear words is not always my strong point!!!

Right I'm mostly with you now but could you just clear up the position (as far as flow) of the Pump:

Order in Height:

1. Aerjec (highest)
2. Pump
3. 3 port valve (lowest)

Order in flow from boiler:

A
1. Aerjec (first)
2. Pump
3. 3 port valve (last)

B
1. Pump (first)
2. Aerjec
3. 3 port valve (last)

Maybe the order does not matter but it's best to find out now and I'm sure its obvious to you.

Many Thanks

Neber said:
Right I'm mostly with you now but could you just clear up the position (as far as flow) of the Pump:

Order in Height:

1. Aerjec (highest)
2. Pump
3. 3 port valve (lowest)

Order in flow from boiler:

A
1. Aerjec (first)
2. Pump
3. 3 port valve (last)

B
1. Pump (first)
2. Aerjec
3. 3 port valve (last)

Maybe the order does not matter but it's best to find out now and I'm sure its obvious to you.

Many Thanks

Height option correct, then option A. Instructions with aerjec are very clear and good. One other thing, whilst you are changing this fit an auto bypass after pump and before 3 port valve, the outlet of which will connest to the return (if a bypass is not already fitted) This will help bring system up to current standards.

Thanks for your help Gas4you, will order a Myson aerjec tomorrow with any luck may then get a full nights sleep for once.

Neber said:
Thanks for your help Gas4you, will order a Myson aerjec tomorrow with any luck may then get a full nights sleep for once.

Fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back