Very Noisy Icos Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has an Ideal (Icos) HE 12 condenser boiler, called me in a panic saying the boiler was making an awful noise.
Having switched on, the boiler appear to be going through the routine of firing, but then failed with letters FL in the display. I am an electrician, so tested for the the relevant power at various points. Having read the installation manual, the power being fed to the gas valve was 100v DC, when it was suppose to be 200V DC. I changed the PCB started the boiler up and sure enough a load vibration sound from the boiler.
The pressure in the pipes were ok and checked all the rads for air locks.
I fired up the boiler again and went outside to observe the vent, its was like a car miss firing with puffs of vapour coming out, still with the the vibration noise. Switched off took the front panel on to make sure the fan running and then powered up again, this time there was a vibration but not so long and the boiler fired up and was running perfectly.
Needless to say when I left and it tried starting up again the same vibration. I told them to turn it off as now I need the expert help of someone who knows.

Sorry it a bit long any suggestions please?

Tahnks Mikey-Sparks

Sponsored Links
Has it got a vertical flue ? and/or could the flue have been knocked (i.e. putting stuff in the loft)

Firstly you need to remove the condensate trap and check/clean this, then remove the sump plate and clean the sump.

Also check the condensate drain pipe work is clear by pouring some water down it.

If these are ok, check the spark electrode. These have a habit of bending, making the gap too big. If so replace it.

I have an Icos HE24 boiler that is just under 3 years old. It is in a 3 bedroom detached house of the same age. It has worked without fail or problem all of this time until the pcb went which I've had replaced. When the boiler was fired up again, it started leaking lots of brown water which eventually stopped once it seemed to warm up. However, I have a large water tank in an airing cupboard on the landing, which is connected to an expansion tank. There are also various pipes running from the tank with red valves attached and one pipe which has a funny little end on that hangs suspended from the tank over a small silver box with a thick black wire coming from it and a sort of silver sliding lever sticking out of the top. This pipe appears to have started leaking and water has got inside this silver box. Consequently the heating tripped out three times. I've dried out the silver box and the heating came on and stayed on for a while, but has now gone out again. There is power to the boiler and when I try to re-light it, it is firing up then the burner light is going out and it shows Status 3. Please help if you can.

Sponsored Links
GailS, you should start a new post for your problem, but, I think your whole system needs a service/overhaul, the water leak might be the cause of all your probs but I suspect there is more than one fault.
Get a RGI out.

Sorry not responded quicker, that time of year when boilers and cars need attention.
Not vertical flue, straight through the wall. Will do what you suggest.
Thanks Guys

Thanks Gasforyou, will give it a go, if all fails could I call on your services? my daughter lives in Hethersett.

Thanks Mike

My daughter has an Ideal (Icos) HE 12 condenser boiler, called me in a panic saying the boiler was making an awful noise.
Having switched on, the boiler appear to be going through the routine of firing, but then failed with letters FL in the display. I am an electrician, so tested for the the relevant power at various points. Having read the installation manual, the power being fed to the gas valve was 100v DC, when it was suppose to be 200V DC. I changed the PCB started the boiler up and sure enough a load vibration sound from the boiler.
The pressure in the pipes were ok and checked all the rads for air locks.
I fired up the boiler again and went outside to observe the vent, its was like a car miss firing with puffs of vapour coming out, still with the the vibration noise. Switched off took the front panel on to make sure the fan running and then powered up again, this time there was a vibration but not so long and the boiler fired up and was running perfectly.
Needless to say when I left and it tried starting up again the same vibration. I told them to turn it off as now I need the expert help of someone who knows.

Sorry it a bit long any suggestions please?

Tahnks Mikey-Sparks

I would suggest it's the condensation line that's blocked.

I've had the same thing two or three times through the winter (During the summer it's not in as much use and the water in the condensation pipe would evaporate). It sounds like a Chinook Helicopter is about to land on the house when it's trying to fire-up.

I remove the trap (bucket at the ready) and clear the pipe (18inch hose pipe spliced into the outlet pipe then blow!).

Once you've done this a few times it takes about 20 minutes to cure and get up and running again. but the problem may well reoccur weeks or months later depending on the usage.

Is the boiler in the kitchen with the condense line going into the sink waste?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back