(Very) Noisy Pipes

RDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a strange one here, just wondering if anyone's heard of this before?

Over the last couple of months we've had a quite alarming vibration/resonance coming through the pipes, it's so bad it actually causes the downstairs lamps to rattle!

Luckily, it only happens in a very specific set of circumstances, that being, when the hot water tap on the bath is opened up over 1/3rd. Every other hot tap, regardless of how open it is, or how long it runs for, doesn't trigger this behaviour.

However, as soon as you take the hot bath tap over 1/3rd for a couple of minutes or so, this resonance starts, and doesn't stop for a good minute or so after shutting off the tap, during which time I'm waiting for the whole thing to go "boom"....

There was a suggestion it may be an airlock, but would an airlock appear in just those specific circumstances?

The system is a quite old "conventional" system (I believe), and had a header tank float replaced in March. Not sure if that may have something to do with it, but I'm trying to give you as much info as possible!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Replace the float valve in the cold water tank in the loft.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for that, well that's interesting, as it was replaced in March (and the behaviour wasn't there prior to it being fitted, at least the dripping overflow's stopped!)

What could be the reason do you think, is it faulty? Wondering if I can bat it back over to the chap that fitted it...

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, well I'll ask, see what he says!

Thanks for your help (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back