Very odd damp patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Not entirely where this post should go - so apologies if not here.

I have an odd damp area in the middle of on an internal wall (not a shared wall with neighbour either). Please see images below. We have known about it since we bought the house (2 months ago), and it may have got slightly bigger in that time, but certainly not by much. This is a bit of a project house and I am only just getting round to fixing it and redecorating.

As you can see the paint is beginning to peal off. It strikes me as odd as I can't understand where any moisture would be coming from. It may be worth noting that there is no damp visible on the other side of the wall. This is the only area in the house affected.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it definitely damp? Have you tested with a damp meter?
Seems highly unlikely, given its position unless there are pipes buried in the wall, although it would be easier to judge if the pics were right way up..
Could it be the dreaded PVA treatment under the paint causing it to peel?

What's the age of the house?

Is it a hollow stud wall, or a brick/block solid wall?

Is there a possibility there's a pipe in the wall?

Looks more like Salts coming out of the plaster. If there is nothing above like a bathroom / shower etc and is internal at that height, its unlikely to be damp.

Sponsored Links
I can't really tell from the pic, but wondering if the wall is an old bricked-up chimney breast...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back