Very Poor Flow Rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased an old bungalow circa 1950 in Cleveleys. The mains water arrives at the stop cock in the kitchen via a 15mm copper pipe. We have had the pressure measured at around 2.5 bar and the flowmeter indicated 8 litres per minute although I have since measured about 11 lpm timed into a bucket. The pipework in the house is a nightmare with 90 degree bends everywhere, the main feed exits the kitchen stage left, goes through a cupboard into the bedroom cupboard, dives under the floor, re-emerges from under the kitchen floor into the bathroom...

Hot(ish) water is currently provided by a Main Mersey boiler which is inefficient and a little scary (whump!)

I need a new system from scratch and one that will increase my flow rate sufficient for a thermostatic shower.

I have had a few plumbers out, the first suggested an unvented megaflow system, the second a standard vented cylinder with system boiler and the third suggested a combi. None of which really fill me with confidence.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
11 litres a minute is very low at 2.5 bar pressure. The first thing to do is to sort out the incoming supply.

You need to measure the dynamic flow rate.

Yours is bound to be very poor and an upgraded supply pipe is likely to be needed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies. My bungalow effectively sits on the incoming pipe and the house itself is quite set a long way back from the road and I'm not sure it would be cost effective to upgrade the supply. I am minded to go the traditional route with a large header tank feeding an unvented cylinder and a twin pump for the bathroom.

I think the dynamic flow rate was 8 lpm as measured on the flowmeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back