Megaflo: Poor flow rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone interested I never managed to 'fix' my water pressure issue with the megaflo but i did manage to find out the following:

Water pressure is 2.7 bar
Flow rate is 14 litres a minute

This poor flow rate couple with a system that isn't balanced has meant that I've got a bit of a problem and i have to regenerate my air gap once every 6 weeks.

Recently someone suggested a dualstream system instead of the megaflo but but rep for DS said that ethically he could not suggest replacing an 18 month old megaflo. Instead he suggested using an accumulator (a 300 litre on in the linen cupboard). This would cost £1750 inc VAT which seems to be expensive!

I've looked through the forum and there seems to be a running argument about accumulators (and patents). At the risk of restarting WWIII has anyone used an accumulator successfully? As an alternative would I be better off replacing my mains with a 28/32mm pipe? I'm planning an extension so chances are the old one could be dug up at the same time.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Did you ever measure the flow rate at the internal stopcock and trace where the restriction if poor then at the boundary stopcock?

davecon1 wrote

and i have to regenerate my air gap once every 6 weeks.

You should have got rid of that heap of scrap ages ago.

but i did manage to find out the following:

Water pressure is 2.7 bar
Flow rate is 14 litres a minute

I find it quite astonishing that it has taken 12 months to find this out.
Let battle begin. ;)

rep for DS said that ethically he could not suggest replacing an 18 month old megaflo. Instead he suggested using an accumulator (a 300 litre on in the linen cupboard).
Odd that the DS rep suggested an approach which prima facie appears to conflict with the DS protection of their silly patent. Perhaps they've realised they have little to protect. At £1750 for a can of air he isn't selling his principles cheaply , though.

I'd much prefer to get the supply pipe sorted out, which would probably cost rather less. Double your flow rate should easily be achievable.

Sponsored Links
It's not that it took me a year to find out the pressure and the flow rate but I decided to look at my options again after getting planning permission for the extension. The DS rep put me in touch with a local plumber for the accumulator quote.

I had been told by another plumber that the standing pressure was 1.5 bar so I was a little surprised that it's 2.7 bar now. I do not know the flow rate at the internal stopcock but I've got 4 taps under my sink that are not doing any favours. Those will all be ripped out when the new kitchen goes in :D

From the sounds of it the accumulator might do the job but it's expensive and i'm best off getting the supply pipe sorted out. If anyone works in or around the wimbledon area let me know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back