Thermostatic shower -Megaflo/Cold on mains - low flow rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Have searched on here for an answer and was unable to find one.. so hoping someone can offer some advice!

Had a new thermostatic shower/concealed valve fitted. Hot water comes from a megaflo system and cold water comes from the mains. Both are very high pressure (taps around the house have very good force etc. Even taps in a bathroom in the loft, 2nd floor have excellent pressure!!)

Now for the problem... when we try out the new shower/valve on the 1st floor the flow rate is very poor :( I've checked the two feeds as megaflo and cold mains so no problem there. Pipes going into valve are 15mm I believe (same as for other sinks/showers in the house)

All other taps/toilets around the house have been off/in use at the time and this had no effect. (Cold mains ext. pipe has been upgraded and megaflo is super powerful so we dont have low pressure problems. This was done many years ago and has worked in thermo shower in loft for years as well as taps in a sink in the loft)

The new thermostatic valve seems to regulate temperature ok, it just seems flow rate is very slow.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why flow rate may be low without ripping out a section of a newly tiled bathroom!

thanks !!

Amjag

Sponsored Links
cheep shower with poorly designed internals posibly = low flow

Other than that, half closed isolation valves behind wall.

hey,

thanks for the reply.

the valve unit appears to be high quality. Bought for around £150 ish. Its a flat plate with 3 circular controls on the front, main shower on/off, thermostat temp control (which seems to be working fine) as when I change it from 20 deg up to 40 deg ish I can feel it!! And the last one for controlling a separate hand held shower attachment.

The isolation valves are fully open too :(

Looking at the other outputs (shower/sink taps) in the house, it almost seems as if theres too much pressure from the megaflo and cold water mains (a good thing overall) and maybe this new thermostatic valve just can't handle the pressure !!!

Any other suggestions or things I should check?
cheers

Amjag

who fitted it. some showers come with flow restrictors.have you read the instructions.

Sponsored Links
hey,

had a bathroom/plumber fit the whole lot. Im assuming everything was properly fit as there is plenty of pressure in the sink which is also in the bathroom as well as another small sink in a separate wc in a room next door.

Hence it appears everything plumbed in correctly, but for some reason just the thermo shower valve not reproducing that amazing water pressure we have in our house!

I must admit I havent read the instructions, the plumber did whilst installing everything.

Im not aware of 'flow restrictors' is this something I can check myself?

I will contact the shop we bought the thermostatic valve from and check to see if it has flow restrictors and while im at it I'll try obtain another copy of the fitting instructions.

cheers!

hey all,

update...
got the plumber to come over and inspect his installation. He took the valve out and checked both inputs (hot/cold).

There were two small plastic flow restrictor type things (one in each). He said both were pushed in too tight (manufacturing flaw maybe?)

He played with the plastic parts for a bit, said they should work now, but decided to remove them (flow restrictors) from the valve.

Plugged everything back together again and amazing pressure!!!!

Infact there is too much pressure :eek: only have to turn the dial maybe 1/3 way for a fairly high pressure shower.

On a more worrying note the concealed valves, pipe inputs? all look very old and worn..strange as they are brand new and 7 days old! the front (exposed) plate and 3 shiney control knobs however look sparkling. Lesson learned, will only buy from a reputable shop/online store next time and not ebay!

Thanks again for the suggestions, wouldn't have known what to say to the plumber had I not asked on here first... and so thought I'd update the post incase anyone has a similar problem and tries searching on this site.

cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back