Flow rate drops off too much - unvented cylinder

And the rest of the story is?

Your posting seems to say exactly what I have already said.

Sponsored Links
Right, I've learned a lot here, many thanks for all your replies.

It's hard to think back but yes I think the flow rate was better when it was first installed, so hopefully it's as simple as being a blockage in the supply to the cylinder.

Locally they are also doing a lot of work on the water supply, closing roads etc down in the town as a result, so maybe that's having an affect on the flow/pressure. The pressure at the kitchen cold tap is still really good though - the best of any house I've ever lived in.

I'll let you know what I find when I get the time to check the flow rate......

They often reduce supply pressure when doing water main replacement work. They should be able to tell you what the usual and reduced pressures are if you pressure them into telling you!

That does not have much effect on a kitchen tap but can have a significant effect on the unvented.

Also they often put a lot of dirt into the main and refuse to accept any responsibility for the problems this causes.

I would advise you to wait until all local work is completed before having it looked at.

Tony

it is not uncommon for the megaflows to loose their bubble in the first few months.

Follow the procedure on the the side of the cylinder.

Normally you have the benefit of this bubble acting as an accumulator for between 40 and 70 lt. unless you run a large bath often this will hide poor incoming mains flow.

Easiest way to check is turn off supply to cylinder and open hot tap. It should run for few mins (about 40 to 70 lt should come out before it stops)

If it doesn't then follow the procedure

Sponsored Links
40 to 70 litres!

You have got to be kidding, how do you work that out?

You could always fit a GAH Dualstream to keep the flow rate up.

They are useless expensive tin cans and a complete waste of money, if you have a low mains pressure.

If you use the cheap crap that comes out of Italy yes, and if the mains pressure is low, you're absolutely right but -

if you use genuine GAH kit or similar vessels from Trentclyde Water Solutions (which are slightly cheaper) you can add a Charger pump and legally boost the pressure directly from the mains - and it's WRAS approved.

No I was talking about the GAH.

And you just agreed with me they don't work on low pressure mains unless you use the pump system.

I'm not provoked.

I used to evangelise about accumulators here a few years back, but there are now lots being fitted, so it is old news. Some of those that badmouthed them years back are probably quietly fitting them by now.

We use Trentclyde, they're cheaper than GAH and its the same stuff. Fitting another Charger/Mainsboost in a few days time, as it happens.

I'm pleased about that, it wasn't intended too provoke, or directed at Simond for that matter.

As I've said in the past, present and possibly future as well, an accumulator has it's limitations, mains pressure being the biggest.

However since the introduction of the mains boost, which doesn't quite work how Microsite thinks, they have improved 100%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back