Very simple control set up but appears to work well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read loads about the weather compensators and complex controls and would appreciate views on our fairly simple setup that seems to work very well.............

........... or could we do much better in terms of efficiency etc.

4 bed detached house with 12 rads. D/G all round & 30cm loft insulation. No cavity wall insulation.
All new rads fitted to old pipework (powerflush & Magnaclean installed)
Some rads well oversized.

Vaillant 831 ecotechplus combi.

TRV's on all rads

Simple analogue 24hr timeswitch 130 ---- very simple!
VRT50 programmable stat fitted in hall ---- House is semi open plan downstairs so whole ground floor is really 1 single heating area.

Have flow temp set at 65 (have to increase to 70 when really cold)

VRT50 runs flow temp at set flow temp until programmed room temp reached ---- actually modulates it back as target approached.

Once at target the VRT50 seems to run the flow at the minimum (often in 40's) to maintain target. Boiler also shuts down periodically(cycling)??

The rads are only lukewarm which I guess is all that is needed bearing in mind the target temperature is maintained -- spot on in fact.

My point is that this seems to work very well indeed ----- with a very simple set up. So...... I know there are much more sophisticated control systems that we could install but would we benefit that much in doing so.

Just be interested to get views on this -- thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thts not weather comp ( WC ) but proportional boiler control and as efficient as you can get without WC.

What you should be doing is getting the cavity insulated as that gives a very good return on the cost. Perhaps reducing the heating bill by 10-20% from say £1300 to £1100 p.a. if you heat the house for much of the day.

Tony

Thts not weather comp ( WC ) but proportional boiler control and as efficient as you can get without WC.

What you should be doing is getting the cavity insulated as that gives a very good return on the cost. Perhaps reducing the heating bill by 10-20% from say £1300 to £1100 p.a. if you heat the house for much of the day.

Tony

Ack your comments re CWI ------- call me misguided if you like but I'm a bit dubious about the possible side effects.. after all you can't just whip it out if problems ensue.

Re the weather compensator -------- would installing one really create much greater efficiency. The present set up gets the house up to target as quickly as possible and then maintains it.

With the ongoing & future cost of heating I'm all for increasing efficiency but do these 'sophisticated controls' give a worthwhile return on the outlay? (again ack your comments on CWI)!!

Its generally considered you get about 3-6% more efficiency saving from WC.

It can be more accurate as it tends to prempt a fall in temperature when its geting colder outside during th eevening.

You are already getting a bit of that saving with your proportional control, perhaps 1-3%.

I would doubt its worth a WC in your case. But CWI definately would be.

There are few complaints I hear about CWI but its best to see who has had it fitted in similar houses near you. The saving/comfort improvement is teriffic.

Friends who had it fitted in their bungalow found that when they got back from work the house still felt warm whereas before it was walking into a cold house!

Tony

Sponsored Links
weather compensation is just one method to control your boiler. all it does is increase the flow temperature as it get colder out side. the goal is to keep the return as far below 55 degrees as you can.

if you are happy with what you got and are comfortable then you are fine.

WC is not a magic bullet and some make questionable claims of what it can do and help prevent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back