very slow heating leak somewhere (split off from other thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to jump on your thread, op, however I’m beginning to wonder if I’m in a similar position. I’m pretty sure I have a very slow leak somewhere on the system (not the boiler which is less than 6months old.)

However, I also have floorings that would be difficult to lift. I was wondering if plumbers ever use a trick like car mechanics or air-conditioning engineers:- put some dye into the system and look for traces of it somewhere? I wondered if you could put some UV sensitive dye in, run the system for a few days/weeks then look for traces of the uv. Would be easier if you can only get limited access under the floor.

I’m having to bleed air out of a couple of rads regularly (checked and it’s not hydrogen) but can’t see any leaks anywhere above the floors.

Sponsored Links
first thing to check is your pressure release valve (PRV) you will have a small pipe usually back to back with the boiler but not always, releases pressure to outside, tie a freezer bag or balloon or similar over the end of it and see if it collects any water over a few days, no dyes available I am afraid

You could try raising the pressure to approx 2.9 bar, that sometimes shows a leak.

Sponsored Links
You could try raising the pressure to approx 2.9 bar, that sometimes shows a leak.
Not if you are doing the bag test on the discharge pipe, these valves are not accurate enough to know the difference between 2.9 and the operating pressure of 3.0 Bar, nothing wrong with ramping the pressure up to visually inspect pipe work and fittings though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back