Very slow leak from cistern bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Yesterday i had a nightmare changing the innards of my toilet. (kept getting loud noise vibrating pipe when flushing).

I bought a fluidmaster conversion kit and took ages fitting it because the old kit was so rusty etc had to cut bolts off and remove pipes caked in sealent.

Bought the coupling bolts from diy shop that have a leather seal (think this is important).

Fitted cistern back and over the last 24 hours there is a very slow leak, about a drop or two an hour, coming from one bot......its blackish stained water.

Could it just be that bolt or something else? Other seems fine.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would add that the bolt set i got goes 1 bolt, 2 metal washer, 3 leather washer (thick thing), 4 cistern, 5 washer,6 bolt, 7 pan, 8 washer, 9 wingnut.

The water is staying on wingnut then dripping off

Hi, if the wingnut will not tighten up anymore to seal the leak i would take the cistern off and put some silicone sealant on the bolts before putting them through cistern, that will cure your problem

Thanks. I could only tighten it one turn past hand tightening on either side. I did hear the cistern pull tighter though. Hopefully this will stop it, thanks

Sponsored Links
Step 6, should this read nut, these should be tight and sealed.

Lifting up cistern when full to check for water running down thread, and around siphon or flush valve nut.

Al

you could have saved all the hassle as all you needed was a new washer in the fill valve or a new one & you wouldn't have had to remove the cistern at all

Thanks but i did look at that. When i opened it up whoever fitted it CAKED all the parts in plumber mait. Ball cock screw was so ruaty it had no head. Had to saw the handle off haha

I thought leather seals in plumbing applications went out with the Ark!

Leather washers need to soak up water so that the swell to fill all gaps.
It might just need a bit more time, although 24 hours should be enough.

The shop owner looked like Noah!!!!

Thanks. Left it as it is for now because its an acceptable amount of water leaking and im at home till Wednesday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back