Very small wetroom newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My first post. I volunteered myself to tile a wetroom floor due to the fact that the quote I got through the plumber was too high.

Anyway drain is in and the room is at most 1m in all directions from it. The floor is concrete, downstairs and is already dug 1 few inches down

Tiles are small , about 3 inches square, walls will be mosaic.

So I can do the walls, done it before, but not the floor. I would think that the tiles will be cut at an angle to match the 4 corners of the drain to the corners of the room.

But I'm lost on the base, I thought a dry mix would be best, but is this possible when putting down a tiled floor. I've been looking on the internet but cant get a clear answer.

Thanks very much in advance

Sponsored Links
Firstly it's usual to tank both the floor & walls in a wet room, if you don't you'll be asking for trouble. I don’t fully understand your question about the 4 corners of the drain unless you’re referring to the fall angles to the drain in the floor, assuming this has been done? I’m also unclear what you mean by using a “dry mix”; do you mean for constructing the wet room floor or to lay the tiles? You can't lay tiles on a dry mix!

You can buy pre-formed wet room bases;
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=...esult_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQzAMwAA

Thank you Richard for your reply.

Yes I am referring to the fall angles, and mean for constructing the wet room floor, my problem is constructing a sloping floor to the drain, rather than the actual tiling itself.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
The base has got to be very rigid or the tiles will fail. A dry mix won’t work & a conventional screed is unlikely to be suitable as it's likely to fail much below 50mm thick. You could form the shape with a quickset render but this will require a fair amount of skilll to get the required fall & a uniform shape so it looks good; you would still have to tank it.

Probably your best bet is to use something similar to the system on this link;
http://www.diywetroom.com/products.htm

Preparing/tiling a wet room is rather more demanding than your average bath/shower room & if not done correctly will lead to early failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back