Very soft turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had new turf laid last August. All looks good except it's very soft when I walk on it,I haven't let the kids go on it (or dog) just when I've cut it. The ground also seems to stay very wet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is no useful advice unfortunately. Either the ground was not firmed enough after rotovating/adding new soil or the drainage is so bad that it just isn't drying out.

Neither can really be fixed easily although time will firm it up if it just needs compacting a bit more.

Leave it until summer and see if it firms up once its dries out a bit.

Has the turf rooted well?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I think it has, it's been growing well. There seems to be loads of little piles of soil,maybe from worms?
Would putting a roller on it be any benefit?
Also I've noticed a few weeds starting to grow through, what's best for lawn feed and weed killer?

Sponsored Links
Yes rolling may help.

Any weed and feed will do now the turf is established.

Scotts do a good one called cleanrun pro.

Obviously with a granule product you must use a spreader to guarantee you don't over apply it and burn the grass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back