New turf laid over too soft soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if somebody could advise. I bough new turf and laid it week ago. Unfortunatelly it seems I did not compacted the ground enough after digging it up (just using wood to compact the ground without actually walking on it). When our 2 year son accidentally walked today on turf, in those places the ground compacted, with much lower turf level where he put his feets. Is it ok to walk over turf to try to compact the ground over the whole area or best to roll it back (because walking will stretch/damage turf), compact the ground by heel, level it/rake it and relay the turf? Turf is still green, well watered every day. Thank you in advance as I feed stupid not reading the ground preperation guides correctly on internet.
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Get / hire a roller and see if you can compact it sufficiently,

If it was me i would roll it back up and heel it in as you say. Then rake it flast and roll it back out.

To be honest Its a bit of a headache but not that hard to deal with low spots once the lawn is established so don't panic.

Now that its down either do as you suggested and roll back and compact or just leave it and let the grass root well and get healthy and established before you start trying to compact it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back