Very stubborn blocked drain - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for suggestions for clearing a blocked drain in my house. I have already had a plumber round to unblock it without any success. The blockage is in a 40mm waste pipe which runs under the floor from my kitchen, via a downstairs bathroom sink, and then into the main drain. The pipe has little or no drop on it, which probably explains the blockage!

The blockage is between the bathroom sink and the main drain. Myself and the plumber have already tried a plumbers snake and vigorous suction without success. The plumber also used 2 litres of one shot, and I have added just under another litre to this directly into the drain (just before it enters the kitchen floor), again without success. The plumber also advised me that due to the drain having two 90 degree bends before joining the main drain, and that the blockage appears to be pretty solid, it would not be possible to use a pressure washer.

I'm hoping that someone on here has some helpful suggestions, apart from "try another plumber"!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
If its feesable, renew the waste with a decent fall, its not expensive stuff to buy. You dont want it blocking up on a regular basis, especially being kitchen sink.

If its feesable, renew the waste with a decent fall, its not expensive stuff to buy. You dont want it blocking up on a regular basis, especially being kitchen sink.

I would do, but unfortunately that would require major construction work to dig out the drain, as it runs under an internal concrete floor :cry:

I think you'll struggle to get that unblocked, and if you did, how long until next time? Options are now limited, with the chemical in there you dont want to be messing about, it's nasty stuff.....

Only option may now be to replace, this time giving correct fall and sufficient access for future clearance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. The chemicals have been well and truly flushed through, as all the water has come out in the bathroom sink! I do agree that pressure may be the only solution. I have one of those water-jet type plungers, so my next attempt will involve attempting to seal off the kitchen end of the pipe and then applying as much pressure as possible in the bathroom, as the waste pipe is much more easily accessible at this point. I will report back with the results!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back