VERY thick insulation already laid. Loft posts not proving useful

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I just moved in to my property and discovered that the loft insulation is VERY thick. It is around 12" or more deep (I haven't the measurement to hand) . I wanted to lay floor and have thought to use loft posts with board across the top. This is NOT my preferred option, but I don't know an alternative given the scenario....

Unfortunately what couldve been quite easy, is made difficult as the batts of insulation are NOT aligned with the joists (or perhaps they are ceiling ties) and therefore the posts are not able to stand upright . Its a job even just to FIND the joists under the insulation!.

Has anyway experience of this scenario, and the best way to tackle it.. The insulation is fibreglass so I am maybe not tackling the problem head on, as I don't want to be in a sea of fibres..

(If i do opt to use the posts and manage to get a way to make them work - should the boards lay horizontally to the joists or along the line of the the joists?)

Sponsored Links
300mm of loft insulation has been standard for quite a few years now, and it's not surprising that your joists aren't 300mm deep. Best practice is to lay a couple of layers perpendicular to one another, so finding the joists may prove difficult.

It's easy stuff to slice through with a bread knife though, so you should be able to install the posts vertically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back