Very very new to DIY first home, big project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I’ve (32m) just bought my first home, Finally! I’ve got a few things that need doing, which I’ll get some men in for, like the bathroom/kitchen etc. But one thing I’d love to tackle myself is the outhouse/garage/shed thing. As it is now, it’s about 6.5’ tall inside. I’d like to have it another foot in height and it needs a new roof. Also possible insulate it in some way and use it as a utility/room.

mad you can see, even I know that roof needs to come down! But the question is, just from visual inspection do you think it’s a good idea to build a DIY flat roof? I’d love to make use of it!
https://imgur.com/gallery/Emhzxn0

wFv5mfx.jpg

4XMqQGx.jpg

IiHbnoe.jpg

9RCz5xn.jpg

UmMYUEE.jpg

Sponsored Links
it might be ok, but the build quality isn't great on the brickwork. I assume you mean all timbers off and build the structure as well as the decking and covering of the roof.
There are people who actually do this for a living on here and I'm not one of them so don't take this too seriously, but there doesn't seem to be much buttessing other than the last photo, so it's possible the walls could be unstable with the roof structure off. But at least you have a spirit level I can see in that photo too, although it's a very old one!
If you get on youtube and watch some videos, you'll soon work out who are the ones who know their stuff. Also you can get some text books as they tend to be written by someone who knows their stuff. I got an NVQ joinery and carpentry one which was a good read, but they cover every topic.
Finally I hope you're keeping these guys
upload_2020-4-17_23-33-28.png

insulate it in some way and use it as a utility/room.
There's the clincher.

If it was staying as a humble shed then I'd encourage all manner of diy to tart the space up, even if the structure is of poor design and build.

However, it's the level of comfort, usage, budget and cut off point that are important as well as the existing building. Fine and dandy if all you are chucking in there are the garden chairs and the mower. However, if you wish to put electrics and plumbing in there, heating, clean family washing, electrical goods, soap powder etc, then your looking at a whole different spec'.

If the foundations are good and you are serious about turning into a habitable improvement then you need to address the poor design of the lower bit - i.e. raise floor level and windows to match the other bit, improve window/door positions etc. Insulating is a simple case of the more the merrier, whilst considering moisture/vapour issues.

Once the buildings are squared up, a simple insulated flattie would be easy enough. The reality though is how much you are willing to spend putting lipstick on a pig. I don't mean that disparaging but if you were going to knock it down in a couple of years then the missus might tough it out cleaning your pants in a mouldy utility room and leave your wallet fuller.

I do appreciate the honest replies.

To be honest I’m just throwing the ideas out there. There are electrics in there... some how... I went to take a look this morning and the roof is leaking from the rain.
qYdFX9b.jpg
My thoughts are, pop a flat roof on(?), insulate/damp proof it as much as I can. I don’t want to spend much at all. Although I do want to make it look at least half decent as it really is an eye sore right now.
Now I just need to learn how to fit a flat roof? Guessing it should be slanted to one side, proper guttering on?
As far as foundations are concerned, is there a way to check this?

Sponsored Links
My thoughts are, pop a flat roof on
Yes, but I'd square up the buildings so they are the same height. Bed a wall plate on top and build the roof. Adequate sized joists spanning the shorter direction with furrings (diminishing strips) sloping away from the neighbour. Rainwater to soakaway in the garden.

As far as foundations are concerned, is there a way to check this?
The lower bit looks like it was built off a slab, but the higher bit looks like it may have foundations. Only really relevant if you are chucking money at it and in it for the long term.

I earlier replied to your floor sanding thread, and i noticed there that you were a bit over your ski's.
Slow down, collect details, make a plan(s) & get prices.
Coming on a forum like this is a good start.
Start your refurbishment with one simple job, and see it carried through to pre-decorating. Get a feel for living in a building site?

If you are newly wed, and intending to live in your first house while you are doing it up as DIY'ers with limited funds then you are asking a lot of yourselves - trust me on this, I've seen a few couples split up, and take big money hits because it all got on top of them.

So, keeping it simple - then why not forget about sheds or external work or sanding floors?
Any structural, roofing, or damp & timber issues - and kitchens and bathrooms come roughly in that order.

Last edited:
It's a pile of rubbish! Get some cheap bitumen roof sheets/ridges from Wickes, batten the existing roof and screw them on - this will probably give you a weather tight roof for 5-10 years. Patch up the walls and paint with masonry paint or if you can stretch to it then batten vertically and clad with some timber, give the woodwork some filler and paint, reinstate the guttering - it will look a lot nicer for a few hundred quid.
At the top end the floor looks to be below the external ground level which will almost certainly mean damp problems, don't try to insulate but make sure there is plenty of ventilation (which won't be difficult!).

I can't really see the house but next door? looks attractive and if yours is similar it will probably lend itself to a nice extension to replace those outbuildings when you have lived in it for a while and decided how the space works for you etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back