Vibrating Boiler

CML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new Baxi Duo-tech Combi 40HE boiler installed. It replaced a conventional boiler 18 years old.
The problem is the new boiler intermittently sounds like a wagon is parked outside and gives off a low vibration sound which is annoying. Added to this the flue outside sounds the same and gives off a bad smell.
These two problems only seem to occur when the central heating and burner lights are on together. Hot water usage sounds fine.
The Installer said it would settle down after installation but its now two weeks and still the same.

Sponsored Links
I've recently had a new Baxi Duo-tech Combi 40HE boiler installed. It replaced a conventional boiler 18 years old.
The problem is the new boiler intermittently sounds like a wagon is parked outside and gives off a low vibration sound which is annoying. Added to this the flue outside sounds the same and gives off a bad smell.
These two problems only seem to occur when the central heating and burner lights are on together. Hot water usage sounds fine.
The Installer said it would settle down after installation but its now two weeks and still the same.

It`s not mounted adequately. I can`t advise about the smell but I am currently fitting these without any probs.These are pretty heavy bi*tches.

OK, thanks for your advice.
I'll try and follow it up with the installation people.

CML.

It`s not mounted adequately. I can`t advise about the smell but I am currently fitting these without any probs.These are pretty heavy bi*tches.[/quote]

Big problems with the fans on these boilers, we carry out a major council maintenance contract and were alerted by one of the other council contracters who were fitting them on another contract.

Fan after fan was packing in after no time at all, we held a meeting with ourselves, the other contractor, the council and Baxi's supposed chief engineer who assured us all that they had had a minor problem which had been identified and ironed out some time ago and that the 15 cases suffered by the other contractor was an unexplained blip.

We all went away reassured for about a month until loads more had packed in.

No more Baxis for the council we work for!

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your feedback. Was this problem recently? As in the last 6 months? CML

The gas valve requires "setting up ".
You need a competent person with a flue gas analizer to set the correct values as per the M.I. :rolleyes:

15.0 Combustion Check

15.1 Checking the CO2

IMPORTANT: The CO2 must be only be checked and adjusted if a suitable calibrated combustion analyser is available.

1. The combustion (CO2) may be checked after running the boiler for several minutes. To do this it is necessary to set the boiler to 'Calibration Mode'.

2. Ensure that all external controls are calling for heat. The actual current boiler temperature is shown on the display.

3. Turn both temperature control knobs fully anticlockwise, then quickly turn the DHW temperature knob ¼ clockwise twice and back fully anticlockwise (Fig. 93).

Fig. 93

4. The display will now alternate between 'SF' and the current boiler temperature and both green LEDs will flash (Figs. 94 & 95).

Fig. 94

Fig. 95

5. Turn the CH temperature knob fully clockwise. As the knob is turned the display will change, indicating the fan speed.

6. The display will show '00', indicating maximum rate, then revert to 'P ' alternating with the current boiler temperature (Figs 96, 97 & 98).

Fig. 96

Fig. 97

Fig. 98

7. Remove the plug from the flue adaptor test point. Insert the analyser probe and allow time for the reading to settle (Fig. 99).

Fig. 99

The CO2 should be 8.7% ± 0.2

8. It is possible to alter the CO2 by adjustment of the gas valve. Remove the plastic cover from the 'Max Rate' adjustment screw. At maximum rate the 'Max. Rate' adjustment screw should be turned, using a suitable hexagon key, until the correct reading is obtained (Fig. 100). Turning clockwise will reduce the CO2. Anticlockwise will increase the CO2.

fig. 100

9. The CO2 must then be checked at minimum rate. Turn the CH temperature knob fully anti-clockwise. As the knob is turned the display will change, indicating the fan speed. When the display reads ' 0' the boiler runs at minimum rate.

The CO2 should be 8.4% ± 0.2.

10. With the boiler on minimum, the 'Min. Rate' adjustment screw must be altered, using a suitable hexagon key, after removing the cap (Fig. 100). Turning anti-clockwise will reduce the CO2. Clockwise will increase the CO2. If the CO2 is reset at either boiler rate it must be rechecked at the other rate and also adjusted if required.

11. The 'Calibration Function' is maintained for 20 minutes unless the maximum CH temperature is exceeded. The function can be disabled at any time by turning the DHW knob.

Page 47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gas valve requires "setting up ".
You need a competent person with a flue gas analizer to set the correct values as per the M.I. :rolleyes:

Many thanks again. i take it you are referring to the smell !

I would recommend this site for the excellent & promt advice from some very knowledgeable people.

Many thanks CML

Yes CML next to the "drone" the smell is usually very noticable when things are out of "wack" :(

Yes it's taken this long!
Phone calls back and forth between the plumber and myself he eventually got the BAXI people out who again seemed to take an age before they arrived to check it out. Then another week and two calls telling them how crap there service is.
They apparently fitted a Gas valve ~ serial No 5122286.

No noise and no smell. Boiler now seems spot on. Shame it took this long to sort out what seems a simple problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back