Vibrating from pipe/hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I have a vibrating noise coming from either pipes or water tank when the toilet flushed. It was happening after the toilet had finished flushing. It was suggested to empty the water out the house wait half how then turn back on the water. We done that and it worked for a day but now it's doing to when the toilet is first flushed. I since then repeated the emptying the water thing and again it was ok for a day but doing it again. I've taken a video. Do you have any suggestions what it could be? We have 3 toilets in the house and it does it with every one and also when the washing machine is on briefly. I have tried to upload a video but it's too large it says

Sponsored Links
Are your toilets fed water from a large tank in the loft ? Or directly from cold water mains ? If you are not sure ,turn mains stopcock off ,flush toilet and if the cistern does not fill ,its mains fed. Possible causes will depend on your answers.

Without actually hearing the sound not sure what a vibrating noise is that you are describing. Does this noise occur as soon as cistern STARTS to fill ,or near the end of the filling ? Have you tried to turn mains stopcock to half open / half closed position to see if any difference is made to the noise ? This will obviously reduce the flow to taps ,showers etc ,so i am not suggesting this would be a long term solution ,but a clue .

Sponsored Links
Without actually hearing the sound not sure what a vibrating noise is that you are describing. Does this noise occur as soon as cistern STARTS to fill ,or near the end of the filling ? Have you tried to turn mains stopcock to half open / half closed position to see if any difference is made to the noise ? This will obviously reduce the flow to taps ,showers etc ,so i am not suggesting this would be a long term solution ,but a clue .

At first it was after the toilet had finished flushing. Then we emptied all the water out and turned everything back on. It was fine for a day then it started making the noise as soon as the toilet is flushed. I drained all water again and back on and again worked for a day and back again I hadn't opened the stopcock fully, so I turned it fully open made the noise after a few hours but not as noisy. That was yesterday but back to loud this morning. It doesn't happen with every flush.

Turn the stopcock right down to only just open and flush ,one by one ,each wc. Advise if any different. Its possible the stopcock needs replacing ,how old is it ? Its also possible that the water inlet valves ( float valves ) on your toilet cisterns need replacing ,but all three would be odd. Of course without hearing the sound i could be way off base. A metallic knocking sound could be water hammer ,thats more associated with taps / toilet valves / washing machines shutting off water flow rapidly .

Turn the stopcock right down to only just open and flush ,one by one ,each wc. Advise if any different. Its possible the stopcock needs replacing ,how old is it ? Its also possible that the water inlet valves ( float valves ) on your toilet cisterns need replacing ,but all three would be odd. Of course without hearing the sound i could be way off base. A metallic knocking sound could be water hammer ,thats more associated with taps / toilet valves / washing machines shutting off water flow rapidly .
Thank you. I do have a video but too large to post on here. Is there any other way I can send it to you?

I am sure there must be a way that you can post a video here ,but i have no idea how !! You can ,on this site ,send a personal message to a member . i will send you a pm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back