vibration in nissan micra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My duaghter has a nissan micra 1998 and complained about vibration at 60 mph and would I go out with her. We went on the motorway and at 60 there was some vibration on the steering wheel but not as bad as I thought it would be. I would normally have thought that it would be that the wheels needed balancing but these were done when she got new tyres. ( could they go out of balance?). The thing that got me was, that as we slowed down you could feel virbation through the floor rather than on the steering wheel which made me think that it isn't a wheel balancing problem but something else.Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be. Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like warped brake discs if the vibration is worse when the brakes are applied.
Our resident micra expert will be along soon!

The wheels won't go out of balance unless the have been kerbed or a weight flies off, really.....
If its like a 'buzzing' vibe below your feet there's a strong possibility that a wheel bearing is on the way out. Try this? Coast down a quiet, wide road, swerve the car from side to side and listen for a droning noise as the wheel bearings are loaded / unloaded.
Jacking the car up and attempting to wobble the wheel doesn't show much these days as the bearings are so big.
John :)

The only other thing I can think of is out of round tyres due to ply seperation, these will balance OK but still cause vibration at speed. Try swapping the rear and front wheels.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I decided to try the easyest thing first ie, swap the wheels round front to back and back to front. When I got to the back offside wheel and removed the trim I found that the nuts had been pit on the wrong way, with the flat side to the wheel. I asked my duaghter if she had had any trouble with her tyres and she said that she had had puncture on that wheel about 3 weeks previously and the mechanic had changed the wheel. She was lucky that the wheel didn't come off. Needless to say all is well with the car now.
Thanks for everyones replies

The title 'mechanic' is a bit of a misnomer then..... presumably the wheel wasn't tightened square either :eek:
Pleased its sorted, anyway! Capital car, the K11 Micra.
John :)

Back