Vibration since new ball joint fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Berlingo 1.9. Went to a local fast-fit bodge merchant to have new discs and pads, then had a clicking noise on right lock, went back was told there was play in the ball joint but saw him tightening something. Anyway didn't have time to check it out myself and had the ball joint done.
Ever since there's a vibration on the steering column, sometimes even when it's stationary. Rang them and told it could be engine mountings, nope solid, or needs a wheel balance?? ( Haha ). Searched the net and came across a Youtube vid for re-calibrating the steering and told them about it when I took it back and they said they'd try that then check wheel balance. Anyhow they didn't do the calibration properly, the engine is supposed to be running but balanced the wheels, no effect, still vibrating.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Clicking noises on full lock are usually due to a worn CV joint.....I'm wondering if he just wound up the driveshaft nut up with a windy gun?
This tends to compress the wheel bearing fully which can cause a judder.
Which ball joint did you replace?
If the discs weren't fitted to a completely clean hub they can run out a little and cause judder - you can usually feel this through the brake pedal too.
Does your Berlingo have electric or belt driven power steering, do you know? If its electric, turning the road wheels by hand (engine off) causes all sorts of bizarre noises etc but settles down after 1/2 an hour or so.
I do feel you have been fed a diet of BS, unfortunately :(
John :)

Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah these fast fit blokes are trained in BS. It says my model (600DX) is alternator+belt driven and it was the OS joint. It drove lovely after the brakes were done apart from the click.
So could all this be due to him over tightening the driveshaft nut?
Morning I took it back for the vibration the OS caliper was stuck on so rocked it a bit and freed it but not happy as they'd just done the damn discs and pads. They don't let you near them now to watch what bodge up they do, but it came out and he said he'd 'calibrated' it and balanced the wheels, now it's pulling to the right! I thought maybe the wheel bearing was shot.
Have to take it back again and see what excuse they've got this time. Maybe it's the tyre pressures or the angle of the windscreen wipers haha.

Hells bells this is getting worse :eek:
When replacing discs and pads, there is no need to interfere with the driveshaft nut.....however, if for some reason up and down play is detected when rocking the road wheel then its a reasonable move to check the driveshaft nut for tightness - not that I've ever known one to be slack!
Sticking calipers are due to two things.....the slider pins are corroded and full of crap (not common on this system) or the piston within the caliper is sticky due to corrosion which has got in through a split rubber boot.
When they say it was the OS joint, it could be the bottom ball joint - and a new bottom wishbone is needed here - or a track rod end joint. For the bottom joint you look for play up and down when tugging the wheel - if its the trackrod end, its left to right rocking that's needed.
If you are pulling to the right it's either the vehicle tracking or a seized brake caliper.....in which case the offside wheel would be hot and the other cold.
Your 600DX has power steering delivered by the alternator belt turning the PAS pump.....front left with the bonnet up.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back