Vibration when tank is refilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I use any of the hot water taps in the house a low pitched humming/vibration (not knocking) occurs in the loft until the tank is full once again.

It is possible for me to stop this by running cold water (either by slightly turning on a cold tap or running the shower) but this works upstairs only - turning on cold water downstairs has no effect on the humming at all.

By running the shower the tank seems to fill without humming and after a few minutes I then turn off the shower.

The problem seemed to sort itself out last week but then I noticed my overflow leaking. A fixed the problem with a new tank float and of course I was back to square one with the humming. Obviously by turning on a cold tap (again upstairs only) seems to relieve some sort of pressure in the system but the question is how to get the bugger working normally again.

It seems a bit strange having to turn the shower on whenever I want to wash or shave but this is where I'm at. :LOL:

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
It sonly the washer on the ballvalve in the dhw feed cistern, Either rewasher it or buy a new ballvalve. the washer will have a dint in it an as the washer is shuting off against the orifice it causes this noise. like letting the air out off a baloon while pulling the neck apart to create a small apature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back