Victorian banister meeting wall straight on, keeps cracking plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've recently had the walls in my hallway skimmed and have an issue where the old bannister meets the wall, it may have originally had a fixing inside, but if it has, it's failed. As there is some movement (at least 5mm), if someone pulls on the bannister, which just to the right is a post, so very likely, it pulls the handrail from the wall and cracks the plaster. I've tried a few things but at this point, I can only see an awful L shaped bracket doing the job.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Image attached and video linked.

Thanks, Paul.

Attachments

• 20210414_225516.jpg
    20210414_225516.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Whats on the other side of the wall? I had similar issue luckily it was internal wall. Used a long screw and washer from the other side

How about??

Fit a "dummy" post, fitted to the wall with Dowels into the handrail [unseen]

Careful positioning of the dowels preferably 2 [as above] then slide the post on to the wall then fix the post to the wall.

Post could "look like" a balustrade, or a similar profile as the handrail?

Ken.

Whats on the other side of the wall? I had similar issue luckily it was internal wall. Used a long screw and washer from the other side
They would have been a good idea but it's an outside wall unfortunately. More precisely it's in the lady next doors house :D Thanks though.

How about??

Fit a "dummy" post, fitted to the wall with Dowels into the handrail [unseen]

Careful positioning of the dowels preferably 2 [as above] then slide the post on to the wall then fix the post to the wall.

Post could "look like" a balustrade, or a similar profile as the handrail?

Ken.

That's not a bad idea either, but might need to be a last ditch effort as if imagine getting hold of a matching one or having one made could be problematic?

I could live with the movement as it's still very sturdy, but id have to find a way of preventing the filler from sticking to the wood? I've been sticking masking tape on it to apply? Perhaps I'm not letting it dry fully?

Sponsored Links
OK Understood.

How about a block of timber to match the handrail, but the block could be fairly short in length with a profiled end . the bottom of the block ?

Ken.

you can get a "half" newel post for this kind of application.

Half_newel_posts.jpg

You could try sinking an L bracket underneath the banister into the wall and then filling over the bracket and painting. If you've got a bit of time you could also sink the L in the banister too and fill with wood filler and re stain the banister!

Thanks everyone, will be able to work something out from the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

You could sink the L bracket in to the wall?

Or perhaps dig away some of the plaster on the underside and drive a screw/plug upwards at 45 or less degrees (difficult though because . Or hack away some of the plaster and back fill with epoxy resin to glue the rail to the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back