Victorian bricks - can they be re-stained grey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am think of buying a terrace which has been cleaned so that the bricks on the front are now their original colour (sandy).

Does anyone know if you can successfully apply coal dust (or something else) to the bricks to make them look grey again? I don't want to make a mess of the house...

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
There are brick tinting firms who might do you a coal dust shade. Conservationists sometimes use soot mixed with paraffin to age new lime mortar joints.

Could always get all your mates to pass by, back up to the wall and leave their engines running while they have a cup of tea with you ;)

Sponsored Links
You need to do a traditional soot wash, which is what is done in conservation areas.

Soot or mashed up coal or ash, possibly a bit of topsoil too, and mixed in a tub of water and left over night.

Then brushed onto the wall. Once dry, give it a rinse, but not a soaking - you want the residue to stay and not streak down the wall

It may require a few attempts, and take care to do it evenly or it looks wrong

Ooi, why tf would you want to go and make some nice clean brickwork look all ****e and grotty again? Toning down a repair in an old wall, I can understand. But wholesale grot reintroduction???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back