Victorian Ground Floor Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ..

This is my first post ( of many I'm sure ), so please be kind and thank you in advance for your comments & suggestions.

Just moved into a large old victorian detached house in the Fens and starting the renovation process step by step. Key priorities due to the time of year is drainage & ventilation as the house has been unoccupied for several years. All drains, gutters, soakaways are now flowing in the right direction and all bushes, vines, plants etc removed from the sides of the house avoiding any moisture holding elements onto the side of the brickwork. Chimney's cleared & swept so the house is breathing again.

In one of the ground floor rooms two front corners the floor appeared extremely soft and when the covering was removed the timbers either disintegrated or were rotten beyond recovery. The usual suspects were combined to create this deteriation a) Blocked soakaway, b) leaking gutters, c) sealed air-vents, d) plants against house.

All the above have been rectified and I am now at the stage of re-constructing the floor and appreciate any advice, suggestions and guidance.

The room is approximately 16'x16' square and has 2 large sash windows & a marble fireplace. The original floor sat on sleeper walls which are approximately 1-1.2m high ( or deep ). The open floor between the sleepers is just compacted earth.

//www.diynot.com/network/GSB007/albums/

I havn't yet checked the relationship between the outer & inner ground level yet but can do if required.

New air-bricks are being added in both external walls and also openings between each chamber of the sleepers to improve airflow & circulation.

Questions ..

Whilst I can, should I do anything to the ground level to assist in damp resistance ( also bear in mind I am probably 1" above sea level ). Would a breathable membrane under / over a gravel bed serve any purpose ??

What construction would you suggest for the floor level ? I see so many conflicting reports on whether or where to place membranes and type of insulations to be used.

I propose to fix timbers onto the sleeper walls & run my joists at 90 degree's to this so support the main floor. The finished floor will be carpeted so can be boarded in a modern conventional method.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you for the pic.

The wall on the right is, presumably, an internal wall? Is the wall on the left the only external wall? How do you intend to provide cross ventilation?

The fire place hearth is on earth enclosed by a fender wall - moisture might rise in the chimney breast and fire opening brickwork. Care must be taken to isolate (by plastic wrapping) the trimming joists/plates to the hearth.

Are there any signs of decay in the room skirtings - probe them. The panelling below the window must be very suspect in an old solid wall house - get close and sniff for a distinctive smell of decay (sometimes a mushroom odour).

The sleeper walls should be honeycombed and much more ventilation is required in the chimney breast recesses.

Drops of poly 1200g or similar can be loose laid as membranes (DPM's) in the bays between the sleeper walls.

Perhaps pics of the exterior esp. at ground level would help.

FWIW: that door should have a temporary flooring platform just inside the room. Just saying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back