New Oak floor to Victorian property with suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have property that has had damp problems due to having poor insulation and few air bricks etc.

Had all the original pine boards taken out of house and exposed sleeper walls (honey coomb) with a void of between 2 foot and 4foot deep. It was littered with rubble, literally ton's of old sand?, old wood - smelt damp and evidence of mould.

I had it all cleaned out to a level where the ground was hard mud surface and it has had 2 months to air and dry. Put it about 12 air bricks all round house.

Had to level out floor and lay green board (T&G)

Q's pls...

On top of the green boards I had solid Oak floor boards (18mm), do I use underlay (6mm) or use flexible glue to bond to the Green boards?

Reason I ask is due to risk of floor expanding & rising if I don't glue it?

Any Thoughts/ Advise Please?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Green boards, meaning moist repellent? If so, no modern adhesive will hold to it.
Depending on the other measurements of your 18mm solid boards (width, random lengths?) you could find yourself between a rock and a hard place

You could secret nail your oak to the joists beneath the woodchip, you will have to lay it in the same direction as the woodchip. yOur woodchip will be nailed to the joists so you will know where the joists are.
Use a building paper (www.novia.co.uk) between the woodchip and oak, it's less than 1mm thick and this will prevent moisture problems.

Sorry www.novia.co.uk (hope the link works this time!!)

By the way, i think woodyoulike's advice is completely wrong. You can hire your own portanailer and buy building paper for less than £1 per/m2 as opposed to trying to take your floor back (not much chance of that unless there is something wrong with it).
Paying more for an engineered floor and paying @ £4.00 per/m2 for underlay !!

Retailer of the year ?? lol

Nailing is very easy to do and you can always come here for advice.

A floating, bouncy floor just isn't necesarry..

Sponsored Links
Advice about moist repellent surfaces not holding modern parquet adhesive is wrong?
Like to see that.

quality underlayment if you want to install your floating comes with its own price. Why spend decent money on a wooden floor and then scrimp on the insulation? Wrong economics

Not wanting to start a row or 'blow smoke' but myself (and many others on here) have followed WYL's advise and found it to be bang on.

Hope you took opportunity to insulate between joists when you had the floor up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back