Victorian House, subsistence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for advice on if I need to panic or not. Totally accept I’ll need to get someone in to look at this rather than internet strangers, but would appreciate thoughts from the expert community.

House is old c1900s, not noticed before, but just below the 1st floor window, looks like a crack has formed along the mortar, only one or two bricks, but clearly not right.

Have checked everywhere else around the property, and no sign of any further cracks, or any visible “wonkyness” of mortar lines.

Thinking probable subsidence? Very sandy soil around here, and when it rains, the street drains get blocked, and cellar can flood.

So thinking that may lead to some issues, as Victorian houses were not really built on proper foundations.

Any thoughts?
CDE66DA5-2534-48C5-B107-AD7ECFE82AE2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Are those bricks poking out from the wall?
The ones above, yes, it’s like a series of decorative square panels just under the 1st floor window, that slightly sit forward than the rest of the brickwork

The ones above, yes, it’s like a series of decorative square panels just under the 1st floor window, that slightly sit forward than the rest of the brickwork
Oh, okay - I thought they were falling out!

The photo doesn't really show anything. We need to see the whole elevation to see where the crack begins and ends.
However, if the photo is showing the full length of the crack it doesn't look like anything significant.
Significant subsidence cracks would begin / end at or very close to ground level and probably run to the corner of a window, possibly through to the other corner before continuing. They would also taper, usually getting wider towards the top.

Would be useful to see a photo from further away to see what is above and below the cracked area.

I’ll post a wider shot later tonight when back from work :)

Cheers everyone

Yes, a flipping big one. Used to be old wood window, now it’s UPVC. Was done about 15 odd years ago
There's your answer. There's probably no lintel above the window and the wooden window was supporting the brickwork. The UPVC window either isn't strong enough or if bay poles or internal supports were fitted, it wasn't packed correctly to support the brick work so it's dropped slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back