Victorian Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My House currently has some Victorian skirting running up the stairs and on two walls in the entrance hall. However on the other two walls there is none. I want to copy whats originally there however its 13 inches high and has a unique pattern at the top (not Torus/Georgian).

Someone suggested getting some MDF ones made to match my originals but I can't find anywhere that will do this. I'm in the North East of England - any hints/tips greatly received.

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
Andy - many forms of Victorian skirting were assemblies of different profiles; classic form being a plain board 6 to 8" tall x 1" thick, sitting on top of that would be another plain piece 2 to 4" tall x 3/4" thick, then topped with a moulded section (ogee, for example). They would be assembled flat backed and nailed together; the front face would then present an interesting, stepped design. So they above description may give some clues as to methods of copying - if you can get the constituent bits then you could make the copies yourself.

WoodYouLike has good advice (as usual) if the above option can't be achieved. A good local joinery shop will be able to copy any profile required, although they may have a minimum linear run. If they don't have the appropriate spindle moulder cutter on the shelf they can be made-up for about £45; a good workshop should be able to do this themselves, if not they send the drawing away and have the cutter made elsewhere.

So, you'll need to get a sketch (better still a sample) of whats needed before the trip to the joinery shop.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Symptoms - The description is exactly what I have got. I have pulled a small section off the wall (1ft wide) and I'm taking it to a couple of joiners / joinery shops tomorrow - Thanks again WoodYouLike and Symptoms for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back