Victorian terrace garden drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve just moved into a ~120 year old mid-terrace. The rear garden stopes towards the house and unsurprisingly there are internal issues with damp from rainwater around both the walls under the windows in the photos.

Would digging a trench around the perimeter of the walls, and using a drain that empties into the foul drain be a suitable solution? Something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast...n-grate-black-115mm-x-1m/95012?ref=SFAppShare

The toilet waste pipe is in the corner so I’d need to navigate round that

The other issue I have is the gully - the waste pipe from the shower (left) and kitchen sink have been splashing all over the place and the majority draining outside of the gully and running under the kitchen. It’s created some what of a mini cavern under the gully.

I’ve improved the piping so they actually empty into the gully but it still isn’t perfect. Any recommendations for how I can build this back up?

BC4498EE-DAA8-42FB-9E29-C5B8FCAE6957.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg
IMG_7023.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Question is how much work to you want to do? Downpipes are a major issue as you are aware, at the very least I would be extending all of them to discharge into the hopper (as opposed to above it), remove existing grid, replace with plastic version with holes cut to suit.

Ideally I would be looking to either reroute the pipework above ground to tidy it up, or look at relaying the below ground to provide a new connection for the left hand (shower?) downpipe, and relocate the existing Gully to a point underneath the downpipe, and reroute the wastes to that. Then see how you fare with damp, providing the DPC is above the ground level by a sensible amount, sorting out the drainage may may a big difference.

Make sure gutters are clear, and there are no leaks in any guttering, downpipes, or the soil pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back