Drainage planning - confused about rodding eye access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My building control officer might be able to shed some light on this for me when I meet with him next week, but I thought I'd ask the question so I don't sound too clueless. The project is a single storey rear extension and at the same time I'm installing a downstairs toilet (essentially under the stairs).

DRAINAGE - during my research and reading posts on this and other forums, I gather that all drainage runs should be accessible for rodding in case they block. Our end of terrace house has a combined surface and foul sewer running along the back of the properties that I need to connect to. Being end of terrace and head of run, I've been told that all of the sewer is private and I can do what I want, so the plan is remove what ever is there and replace it with 4 inch plastic pipes that connect to the existing sewer at the boundary with the neighbours. Fortunately the extreme head of the run in the alley at the end of the terrace, is a gully currently used for combined surface water and kitchen/bathroom water, so I plan to replace this gully, which will only be used for surface rain water and somehow include a rodding eye access point. I don't know what parts are available or if it's possible, but that's the plan..

From there it is essentially a straight run down the sewer that will have a lateral connection for the new kitchen waste, the existing foul/toilet waste from upstairs and the new downstairs toilet.

This is where I get confused. How is it possible to get rodding eye access from either the upstairs or downstairs toilet to the main carier pipe when they are internal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
All your pipes will need to go into an access chamber so all rodding will be from there.

Maltaron, thanks for the response. Not entirely sure how this could be possible. The only place for an access chamber would be in the extension as it extends the width of the house. I'm already having to remove the manhole that is there because they are no longer allowed (at all) within a build over..

Perhaps an access chamber could go in the alley way, but that is not my ownership and would also mean that the pipes would have to flow against the direction of the sewer run and then back down into the sewer from the access chamber.

Is there no room behind your extension? Can you post what the BCO agrees to.

Sponsored Links
Maltaron,

You asked my to post what the BCO agrees. Well although I haven't done the work yet, I have spoken to him and he confirmed that rodding eye access is not needed for all pipes. I was quite surprised at his relaxed attitude about it. He said that nowadays there are plenty of ways for plumbers to clear blockages.

Either way, I think my layout will allow for rodding access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back