Victorian terrace - party wall cracking should I pull out of the sale ?

At London prices, if the 10k odd stamp duty saving is that critical you definitely don't have enough contingency in your budget for a fixer-upper. Depressingly, 10 grand doesn't go very far these days- its a nice lump of cash to have but you can't live comfortably on it for long (you can exist on it for ages but that's a whole other story). My feeling (i may be wrong here) is that city prices will drop or hold steady for a year or 2 with the disruption from covid and Brexit (especially in the SE where a fair few financial services jobs will be looking shaky)

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

We haven't lived in a Victorian terrace

Thanks !
I'm sorry to be blunt but you haven't missed much. Inconvenient layout, small rooms with fireplaces taking up space, small windows or large single glazed sashes @ the front ( maybe conservation area) Half the ground floor solid with wooden suspended @ the front - no through ventilation. and so on. Remember the Victorian time were furious house building times. Speculative builders. You're not going to get Bazalgette standard of brickwork, and you might end up in the substance his works carries.

Sponsored Links
Maybe things have changed since I bought my house with a mortgage but it went like this:

1. Price agreed with seller.
2. Mortgage valuation significantly less than price agreed (lots of work needed).
3. Seller adjusted price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back