Victorian Terrace Prep & Painting Masonry Window Sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

A newb poster here, although long term reader of the site!

We bought a Victorian terrace last year and have been slowly, but surely, working on getting her done up over the last year. I have recently turned my attention to the outside of the house. At the front we have 3 windows with masonry lintels and sills. They have been painted numerous different colours by the look of the really badly flaking paint!!

I want to strip these and then repaint them, as they currently look an absolute mess. However, I’m struggling to find detailed advice on the best way to do this.

Should I just be attacking the paint with a metal scraper, a stiff bristles brush, and, if necessary, a wire brush? Should I be aiming to get every last bit of paint off? If so, how should I go about this. Someone has suggested paraffin?

Once the paint has gone will I then need to treat this before painting?

So many of the jobs I have attempted have been a nightmare, because I am rubbish at DIY, so I am desperate to turn the corner with this!!
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, I bought Nitromors for this in the end and have made a start. There are loads of layers of paint but it seems to be coming off fairly well.

However, the bottom layer is this read paint and when the Nitromors got to it, it went all gunky and didn't just scrape off like the other layers.

Is there a reason for this!? Is it a funny type of paint? Thanks!

When you may masonry I take it you mean stone and opposed to cement?

As you have bought the aint stipper you may as well use it up now...but for any really awkward bits I would take a blow torch to them..

(make sure you wear gloves and impact resistant specs though)

Dont try and combine two to speed things up a bit...you'l end up in hospital!

The paint that isnt shifting is probably tile and brick paint..which will have a different formulation to the rest of the stuff thats on there

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help!

I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure that they are. I guess they are probably cement, as it goes. So is it just going to be a case of scrapping away with the last layer that goes gunky?

Not had a chance to get at it again as it's been raining :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back